Looking for suggestions - moving with chickens!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mykel, Jul 20, 2019.

1. mykel

mykel In the Brooder

Dec 29, 2015
    Virginia
    Hubby and I have had enough of the suburbs and have bought a small farm in Georgia. The move will take 10-11 hours. I have four hens going with us. I’m putting the coop on a trailer. I’m going to travel at night when the hens will most likely sleep. Do you think they would do better in their coop on the trailer if I protect them from the wind, or should I put them in a crate with a roosting bar in the backseat? Or is there a better way?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Crossing the Road

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    As long as it is cool enough, they will probably be fine in the coop.
    If you'll be on the road in any heat, put them in the car.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Hmmm....First thought is that the trailer might be a bouncy ride for them.
    But the backseat will be a stinky ride for you.
    What does coop look like...got pics, inside and out?

Hcchic likes this.
  4. TomZilla43

TomZilla43 Songster

Apr 23, 2017
    White House, TN
    Hmm.....I've never had to move chickens long distance but I would imagine if you can protect them from the wind that letting them roost in their coop as you travel would be as good a way to move them as any. Of course provided that the coop is secure on the trailer and they are secure in the coop. I can't really think of any upside to putting them in a crate. But that's just supposition on my part, best of luck on your move. Hope everything goes smoothly:thumbsup

mykel likes this.
  5. mykel

mykel In the Brooder

Dec 29, 2015
    Virginia
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    And I have one very broody momma-wannabe!
    [
    QUOTE="aart, post: 21579626, member: 175197"]Hmmm....First thought is that the trailer might be a bouncy ride for them.
    But the backseat will be a stinky ride for you.
    What does coop look like...got pics, inside and out?[/QUOTE]

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Coop on trailer might work fine...blocking some wind but not all the ventilation.

ChickenCanoe likes this.
  7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Crossing the Road

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    X2
    Some wind won't hurt them. I'm sure they can avoid it in a building if they are uncomfortable. Chickens outdoors deal with wind all the time.

AltonaAcres likes this.
  8. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    What does the trailer look like? As the coop is top heavy, it might be more secure to tip the coop over to trailer it.

Truthfully, I think you are over thinking this, I have seen chickens travel in a gunny sack in the back of a pick up, and while their feathers were ruffled, and they did kind of glare when they got out, they were fine in 15 minutes.

Traveling at night should not be a problem at all. They will more than likely stop laying fr a bit of time, chickens hate change, even good change.

Mrs K

Hcchic, FowlWitch and ChickenCanoe like this.
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    For 10 hours?

Been thinking about this, the wind can be wicked behind a car traveling 75 MPH...hard to test how windy it might be in the coop. Will you be able to see inside the coop while you are driving...coop cam?
    Might bring crates along just in case you need a Plan B.

Hcchic likes this.
  10. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    No, not for 10 hours, but really a box for 10 hours is not going to kill a chicken either. People mail chickens. 10 hours at night, I just don't think will be that big of deal. I would worry a bit more of the coop coming off the trailer, being top heavy.

ChickenCanoe likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: