1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking for surefire way of keeping water out of an external nesting box with a swing UP roof?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Gridguru, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Gridguru

Gridguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2016
    Dallas, TX area.
    I'm struggling to find a way to make sure water doesn't get into the nesting boxes when it's raining hard and sideways against the coop. The water runs down and then into/over the hinges and into the boxes.

I'm being superficial as well.... it has to look good.

Pics would be very welcome. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    If you posted a pix, then it would be easier for us. But this is my suggestion as per your description. Get a strip of vinyl flashing and cover that hinge area. It will look neat and will flex when you open top. Caulk as needed.
    WISHING YOU BEST.. and [​IMG]

3. Gridguru

Jan 30, 2016
    Dallas, TX area.
    This is what i have so far. I am building it in pieces and will assemble in the yard in a couple of weeks. It will slide into a framed section of one of the coup walls.

I have the side opening completed, but am considering a top opening as well if i can figure out how.

[​IMG]

4. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    A piano hinge on the higher side , Then attach roof. Provide sufficient overhang to keep rain out naturally. Look like you are a fine craftsman. [​IMG] Make sure that you have secure latches to keep out predators.

5. Gridguru

Jan 30, 2016
    Dallas, TX area.
    Much appreciated.

I've got a piano hinge (currently attached to the bottom door), but i can move that to the top and get regular hinges for the bottom. I'll look for the vinyl flashing as well.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Why not just have the back open for egg access.....and build a caulked nest roof with large over hangs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by