Looking for Swedish Flower Hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by MamaPenguin, Aug 18, 2016.

1. MamaPenguin

MamaPenguin Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2016
    If anyone knows of a chicken breeder or hatchery that deals with Swedish Flower hens, please let me know - I would really love to get a couple of hens. Thank you!!!

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I raise Swedish Flower Hens. Located in NW MO.

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

I have seen many who do on the Swedish Flower thread.

I was able to find some local (2 hours each way) 2015 Green Fire Farms parent stock (mine are second generation). I paid $5 each.

I also paid $20 each for some from Craigslist that ended up being who knows what?. One has a pea comb and white earlobes. The other has dark legs, a blackish red comb. The black Jersey Giant I bought from those people is blue and as skinny as my white leghorn.

The first one I mentioned was my second experience. I could tell this girl knew what she was talking about even though she was also on Craigslist.

So the Swedish Flower I have right now, I LOVE raising! I am raising them as my primary dual purpose breed. I may see about selling some locally next spring... Norther CA/southern Or depending on the laws. I have 8 I am selecting my breeders from right now. Where I got mine they had 1 crested hen. I have a crested pullet and cockerel. I know I'm not supposed to breed those together and get a big poof. It's pretty hard to decide when I have NOT found a reason yet to eliminate them from my breeders. Either to the egg house or stew pot... maybe 2 separate SFH pens! [​IMG]

I would recommend buying from someone who is NPIP certified if you can. I am not currently but will probably try next year as we are still completing out set up.

Best wishes! I hope you find some great birds. I am very satisfied with mine.

Edited for spelling and a missing word.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  4. MamaPenguin

Jun 1, 2016
    Thank you so much for responding and I want them really for pets who give me gifts (eggs) and because my husband's grandparents are from Sweden. Let me know when you do sell some [​IMG]

5. MamaPenguin

Jun 1, 2016
    I am in the SF Bay Area - do you ship?

6. EggSighted4Life

I am in Crescent City... a beautiful drive up 101 between the 2 cities! 7 hours each way. (I know you were actually asking @Gray Farms )

I saw they are also putting together an updated breeder information page. It should be a great resource once completed!
    I got some Dutch breeds because that is where my Father in Love (law) is from!

Even just as pets, I think the SFH are exceptional!

Also, I don't know anybody who sells sexed chicks, so if you want only hens you will need a back up plan for the cockerels. I can usually tell gender by 6 weeks in this breed.

As far as hatcheries go.... Green Fire Farms sell their chicks for $29 each, unsexed. They are one of the most popular if not the only, as they are the ones who originally imported the breed, I believe in 2010.

You can see I am more interested in helping you find the birds than worried about selling mine next year. Although I will be excited when I get to that point, I just like being helpful!

Good luck!

7. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    Greenfire Farms sells them.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  8. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    Meyer Hatchery is another that has them. Just google Sweedidh Flower hens and you will get a list of vendors.

9. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I've shipped eggs a few times, but I don't ship live birds sorry. Wish you were closer, I hatched way to many this year and need to move some out.

10. EggSighted4Life

Wish I was closer to! [​IMG]

I could use a couple more to add to my breeding program.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by