looking for Teacup Schnauzer-warsaw indiana

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by duck&chickencrazy, Dec 3, 2008.

1. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    i am looking for a Teacup Schnauzer, salt and pepper female, 8-10 weeks old, if anyone knows a good place to find one i would really like to know. I would really prefer if it was closer to me so anywhere near warsaw, indiana

2. Griffox

Griffox Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Teacup isn't a breed type for schnauzers...unless you're referring to miniature schnauzers. You might have better luck contacting a Schnauzer breeder and asking about the size of the parents. It is common for poorly bred miniatures to be larger than breed standard permits. You're best bet would be to find a quality breeder whose dogs are on the smaller end of the standard. Beware of any breeder advertising "tea cups" as the method of breeding down to size ignores temperament, health and conformation. Those are things that you don't want to compromise on. Good luck.

3. NoelTate

NoelTate Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    There is no such thing as a teacup of any breed. The AKC has taken a stance against this term and recommends that a buyer never purchase a puppy from any breeder who advertises teacup dogs. These people are not doing what is best for the individual dogs or the breed. They are breeding dogs that are too small and are not breeding quality. Often, the puppies advertised as teacups are weak and unhealthy. What you want is a QUALITY miniature schnauzer. The problem is that so many backyard breeders think just because their dog is purebred with papers it is breeding quality. That is simply not the case. That type of breeder has caused an overpopulation in most breeds, and a population that does not accurately represent the breed standard (think the "deerhead" chihuahuas, for example). If everyone who bred a dog did it responsibly, almost all dogs would be representative of the breed standard and we would not have to worry about getting dogs that were too large or had other breed defects. Just be sure you find a responsible, credible breeder so you can get a mini schnauzer that is properly bred so it will fit the breed standard, including size. You can even ask around and find a strain that tends to run small. Schnauzers are really great dogs! They have a lot of energy, but they have a greater desire to please than any other breed I have ever dealt with. Every single one I have ever been around has been surprisingly intelligent. You'll really enjoy having one! If size is really a dominant issue for you, consider a rescue group where you can get an adult. That way you will know how large of a dog you are getting. With puppies, you can guess, but you can never be 100% certain.

4. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
  5. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    hey thanks a bunch for telling me that, i am now reconsidering getting one of the "teacup" ones. I just found out that there 3 different sizes for the Schnauzer: giant, standard, and minnie. Thanks again!! the reason for the confusion really is that the puppie will be for my sister and that is just what she said wanted

6. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by