looking for the all black chickens "

SCEggPlant

Hatching
Apr 19, 2018
I'm in South Carolina, I have a mixed flock now , for eggs that I just sell locally and for my own uses. , and I was very interested in starting a separate flock of ayam cemani , the all black chicken ,, can you help .? I think they are cool. Just started learning about them.
We're did you get some " or how can I get some? You can also email me at , [email protected] please if anyone has any information on them or how I can get some please contact me.

Greenfire Farms sell them but they are the price of GOLD.
https://greenfirefarms.com/ayam_cemani.html
You can find some less than exotic priced from individual breeders on Craig's List. Check your area listings. I have seen them on and off in my CL listing area going for about $80 to $100 straight run.
You can find cheaper ones as well. Those seem to be mutts that have some non black leakage .

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

BYCER Pyxis breeds Ayam Cemanis -right now you can catch her in the Emu forums.

She hatched two Emus. She also appears at "What breed or gender is this."

We don't have Ayam Cemani chickens because they aren't very cold hardy and we are in Pennsylvania. However, we do have Svart Hona chickens who were bred from the Ayam Cemani. The Vikings liked the Ayam Cemani chicken, and wanted a breed like that so basically bred them until they were more cold hardy. Technically they are a land race and not a breed, but they, like the Ayam Cemani are also superrrrr expensive and rare looking. Svart Hona chickens, like the Ayam Cemani, are all black, bones, meat, feather, everything (though we don't eat ours!). We just started breeding our Svart Hona chickens. Like I said we are in PA and aren't quite that experienced at breeding them yet, but plan to do more this year! If you should find yourself interested in Svart Honas at any point you could message me and we might have some available in the future... we have a relative in SC so could possibly get them to you like that.

Thank you everyone for the information, if anyone has ideas how I can get some. Let me know, but I guess I might have to get them straight from the source.

If you want them to breed true and or are looking for quality birds, be very careful about sourcing. People went nuts for this breed and there are a lot of poor quality birds out there now because people just saw the prices they were selling for and everyone wanted to make money from them.

Last edited:
They went nuts here to but not many were selling mutts or crosses just poor examples and culls were being breed.
Most spent too much for theirs to think crossing would be a good idea.
Now the market is getting flooded and demand is dropping off The ones that did it right can't compete with pet quality breeders.
I've noticed nice ones going a lot cheaper. I've seen good rooster being given away.
The fascination has defiantly worn off.

Back
Top Bottom