Looking for the easiest/most affordable chicken tractor design!

Chicky Joy

Songster
11 Years
Jun 22, 2008
I just ordered 6 chicks. They'll be here in about 8-9 days. I told my hubby I'd take care of the brooder if he'd do most of the work on the chicken tractor. The poor guy has so many projects to get done and I keep adding more to his honey-do-list. So, I'm looking for the quickest, easiest way to put together the appropriate size chicken tractor. The more economical the better.

One other question on the tractor issue, at what age can the chicks be moved into the tractor in October/November Michigan weather? Granted it could be 60 degrees and sunnny, 40 and rainy, or it could be cold and snowy.

We have a coop but I'm afraid the new chicks won't be big enough to be integrated into the rest of the flock before that time of year.

Hello, I'm also in Michigan. It's pretty darn cold around here starting...when ever it feel like it, got to love michigan.

So if it's warm enough around Nov I would say just build them a nice "temperary" coop but I think in the heart of winter it might be best to have a real coop for them one that is insulated. Or keeping them in the garage with outside time, or a basement with outside time.

Good luck!

If you current coop large enough to build a little "kids pen" for the little ones inside of the other coop? That might be a good idea.

Our coop is about 12x12 with 8 large hens, so there is probably enough room for a "kids" area. Maybe we could fashion some sort of divider. I'm making way too much work for my husband
barnie.gif
He'll be earning some major bonus points if he gets everything done.
big_smile.png
I'll help, of course. I've got a two week break from my online classes. Then I start a new five week class and will be working a lot of extra hours at the same time. After that I have another two week break but we have to spend about five days off the island in mid-October. Fun fun.

The weather this summer has been really crazy so who knows what fall/winter will bring. Fall doesn't get too bad typically.

A lot of people around here tend to just put the young ones in with the new ones when they get big enough, no dividers just straight forward tactics.

Yeah, you really don't want to try to winter them in a tractor where you live, given other options.

Make a divider for the coop. All it takes is a scrap wood frame with chickenwire or whatever stapled onto it. If you can locate it the right place, you can make a moveable end panel to alternate access to the run - so that usually the main flock gets access to the pophole but sometimes you move the end panel a little so that your new chicks get to go out there. (Or cut a second pophole, and just alternate use of the run by whose pophole is open).

Good luck nad have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom