1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking for the prefect chicken!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by janieschicks, Jan 21, 2011.

1. janieschicks

janieschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    berkeley springs
    I've read so many post on the best brown egg layers,my head is spinning! Ok I have 4 yr old golden comets, they are great birds but they stopped laying this winter. Im looking for chickens that lay lots of large brown eggs, maybe not a hybrid this time. I want them to be calm and friendly and not flighty. My Easter eggers lay eggs but since they fly out and free range all day I cant find the eggs, the eggs are also small like a medium. I dont eat my chickens so they do not have to be dual purpose birds. Any suggestion on finding the perfect bird? Also they need to be cold and heat hardy.

thank you
    janie

2. gordonburrito

gordonburrito Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Mid-Missouri
    get some Black Australorps.

3. Chickensman97

Chickensman97 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2010
    Cromwell, CT
    get either Rhode Island Reds or Black Australorps

4. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I wouldn't expect your 4 year old chickens to be laying on a regular basis- regardless of breed!!! My first flock was RIR's. They are good layers for 2 years and then slow down. Not the friendliest (to each other) or the prettiest... I love my buff orpingtons, and the black Australorps- they are both good layers, cold hearty, very nice to each other and very attractive... Of course, everyone's answer to this question will be different! Good luck in your selection!

5. happyhappy

happyhappy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Napa, CA
    I too love my Black Austrolorps, great layers through winter and healthy but not flighty, they are big birds, my light brahmas are sweeties but for the size their eggs you would think they are bantams.

6. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Delawares are super calm and friendly - I have several that are lap sitters. They are darn good layers, and you would also be helping a threatened breed. . . .

7. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

My list for you:
    Black Australorp
    Rhode Island Red
    Buff Orpington
    Barred Plymouth Rock

8. Kari

Kari Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Here's my list!
    Buff Orpingtons
    Dominiques
    Black Australorps
    Cochins

I also have Easter Eggers, which I love, and Turkens, who are very friendly and inquisitive.

(edited because I can't spell!)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  9. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    My light Brahma is laying even when she is molting, when everybody else gave up. Mine is really friendly, but I handle her quite a lot -- I think nearly any of them are nice if they are handled.

Jenny

10. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I second the vote for Orpington's. Wonderful, docile birds.

Amy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by