looking for the right turkey

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by cwhollars, Jun 14, 2009.

1. cwhollars

cwhollars In the Brooder

Jun 2, 2009
    Carthage
    looking for a small to med. turkey that will reproduce on there own. any help please

2. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Songster

Jan 22, 2009
    Bourbon Reds! they are lovely - we have 6 poults from one momma, 1 from a disastrous attempt to use an incubator... and we have another momma with about 7 or 8 eggs under her.

they arent nearly as big as the BBWhites - those females are bigger than our BR tom.

3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Songster

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Any of your heritage breeds are able to reproduce on thier own. The BroadBreasted all need assistance in reproduction.

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

We raise Blue Slates and they are indeed the sweetest turkey you will ever meet. Ours do not have a mean bone in them. They are also on the endangered list. We have a 3 year old daughter and they do not bother her either. They are curious, sweet, quiet and really personable. They are also excellent broodies and VERY good mothers. Ours free range on 5 acres and are very good foragers as well. We sell poults and hatching eggs if youare close to NE MS,, stop by and check them out.

5. The key thing with turkeys is working with them. The more time you spend with them and interact the more friendly they will be. All of our breeds are no trouble at all.

Steve in NC

6. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I love all our breeds - bronze, jersey buff and royal palms.

I'm partial to the Royal Palms as the ladies like to be petted.

Bourbon reds are still babies and cannot really tell about them yet. Although they seem to like interaction as well.

Let me know if you need help finding some eggs....Smile. I'd be glad to assist.

Have a blessed day.

7. taraann81

taraann81 Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    I put my vote in for the Beltsville, just because they have such an interesting history!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: