Looking for those first time "pet" chicken owner

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by shakecc, Jun 28, 2008.

1. shakecc

shakecc Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Central OH
    We have had our chicks for 4 days and are first time chicken owners. I am hoping to have an enjoyable experience! Our goals was to have some "different" pets with the benifit of fresh eggs, but find myself becoming anxious about all the prospects of something going wrong! I have read several post of people culling chicks because they are a roo and ill mannered chickens ending up in the soup pot. Please know that I am absolutly NOT passing judgment or starting any debates (I eat chicken! [​IMG]), but just know that would not be a option for myself to follow through on. I hope that I am not in over my head!

Any other "pet" chicken owners out there that are glad they entered the chicken world?

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

me me me!!!

And I've had to rehome a rooster-to-be.
    I've got in trouble with the health dept because of a crowing hen.
    I've lost a bird to a raccoon and one to a hawk.
    But it's been one of the best experiences of my life!
    And I wouldn't trade one minute of having these birds!

3. HaileyNJoliesMom

HaileyNJoliesMom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    We are also "pet" chicken owners. Hubby recently said he wanted meat birds as well, BUT he would do everything for those guys. I think I would get to attached

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Me! I've had to rehome a bunch of cockerels because when you hatch your own eggs, 50% or so are male.
    It's a good thing for you to join here, you'll learn alot.

5. wannabechickraiser

wannabechickraiser Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    This is my first time owning chickens. My flock are 10 5 week olds and I have to make myself not sit with them all day. My family says I'm obsessed. They are so much fun to watch and get to know their personalities. I too could not cull any of them but if we do have roos I have a friend who would put them in soup so that's where they will go. I won't be eating soup or chicken at her house, though.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  6. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    mine are 8 weeks, i think??? and I already know if I have an extra rooster he will go to my uncle. I know I couldnt kill one if I had to but my older son would. I cant wait to get eggs and my kiddies are starting to come around to me, they still get skittish when I change their water and feed them but strangely enough they calm down them I get in with them.

7. ailsaek

ailsaek Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Sharon, MA
    Mine are seven weeks old now. Most of the cockerels are going to a forum gathering tomorrow and I'm hoping to come home with none of them. Honestly, except for one of them, I don't mind if they are taken by people who want to fatten them up for dinner. The one I'm fond of is a mellow little guy, but the other five are getting mean.

I love sitting outdoors and watching my chickens too. They're so entertaining, and I feel so peaceful watching them.

8. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    I am also a newbie...At pet chickies and at incubation...Scary but fun. We love the chickens! Wish we started this 2 yrs ago...

9. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    I'm hatching eggs, and I know I can't keep roos, so our local egg man said he will take all the roos and any extra hens. He will make dinner of the roos, but that's just the way it goes. I would never eat a chicken that I had known, but alot of people don't have a problem with it. I get my chicken from the chicken man at the farmer's market. It's humanely raised and humanely processed, and I don't have to meet before I eat.

10. Backyard Buddies

Backyard Buddies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Our 3 girls are very much pets and would never end up in the soup pot. Yes, we eat chicken as well but just not the pets. They have names and are loved. The ones that died as babies are buried in the yard with little tiny brick tombstones.

The girls are now just over 2 years old. At their first birthday, they had a laying mash, banana, and yogurt cake, with yogurt frosting and fresh strawberries! Here's a picture:

[​IMG]

My kids [​IMG] their pet chickens! Ever seen a kid on a tree swing holding their favorite chicken? How about a kid watching TV with a chicken in their lap? Yes, chickens can be pets. Yes, they can be food as well, but we've found a way to separate that as far as these girls go. You're in for a great ride!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by