1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking for thoughts on this hen's color genetic makeup

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hinkjc, Nov 9, 2009.

1. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Other than the fact that she's a mess of color, what color genes does this girl carry? I think I see blue or splash, mottled and something providing red/brown tints to her saddle and tail area. In the one pic you can see a bit of her legs, which appear to be mottled as well. It was hard to show the definite white tipping on her plumage, but I think the pics will be helpful. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

EE Wheaton?

3. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    I'm probably way off base, and the color on my monitor may not be up to par, but I'm going to throw it out there anyway... Her color/markings are kind of similar to my WC khaki cuckoo polish. But your girl doesn't appear to have any Polish in her - do you have any background info on her?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  4. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

What breed is she? She appears to be splash mottled. My monitor isn't showing any red or brown.

5. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

How about a baby chick pic of her?

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Blue, mottled, possibly lavender, ...

I see the buff/dilute red, not sure what genes, though.

7. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    The last pic makes her neck look really dark, but the rest of her kind of resembles a porcelain mille fleur.

8. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    She looks lavender Mottled, or Porcelain almost to me. [​IMG]

9. hinkjc

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Here's some more info on her history. I don't have chick pics, but just from her being fully feathered to now. I don't believe there is any chance of lavender in this pen. There is dilution going on, but I'm not sure what it is.

Here, you can see her as a youngster with other hatchmates (she is in lower right corner) - she looked more blue splash at that time and has since gotten more mottled after moulting (which I believe is typical).

[​IMG]

I believe this is her mother (notice some brown tinging in her wing - she did have more if this on close inspection).

[​IMG]

And a closer pic of her possible mom's back feathering/color (on the left).

[​IMG]

The father is this guy (the hen pictured with him is a very light splash and could be the mother as well):
    [​IMG]

Here's another pic of the splash hen:

[​IMG]

10. hinkjc

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    In thinking about this more, I dont think she could be splash since the mom is either blue or splash. Matched to that roo would never make splash, right?

Eta - she is a very pale color and has gotten more white tipping as she ages. Don't know if that helps. It is really difficult to get good pics of her as she is a very wild hen.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by