Looking for turkey eggs, big birds to eat

Lopi1234

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 8, 2012
Hello, I live in New Jersey and am looking for turkey hatching eggs. I plan on eating them. So breeds that are faster growing are desirable. Thanks

Check eBay presales...there aren't many hatching eggs going around now because this isn't their breeding season. Hatcheries sell hatching eggs too of various breeds. You sound like you are looking for Broad-Breasted Whites because they grow very quickly and are good for slaughter, but they have a lot of health problems. It might be worth getting a heritage breed and starting your own flock.

Thanks cstronks, I did look on ebay. They had bourbon reds and royal palms. They seemed too nice to want to eat! They both I believe are rare. Yes a broad breasted bronze would be nice. I was just looking to grow some out. Although it is their off season, I wouldn't mind a presale. Just poking around here to see who has them and if they do sell their eggs. I didn't want a whole flock just a few for the holidays. (My main focus are my quail.)

Great! Meyer hatchery sells hatching eggs for Bronze and White turkeys at relatively low prices. Hopefully you can find somebody local though.

Good to know that you raise quail?? What kind of quail? I have thought about getting into quail because I only have chickens.

I have Texas A&M, Coturnix Japanese Quail. I absolutely love them. They lay over 300 plus eggs a year and mature in 6 weeks. If you were talking chickens this would be the best of the commercial broiler and egg layer industry rolled into 1 bird. Plus mine are pretty tame. Much more so than my chickens. If you ever thought about getting some you should. Plus you don't need permits for them like you would Bobwhites. They are indegineous where I live.

I'm in NJ too. There are two places I know of for turkey: McMurray and Jerseychickens and Schuster's Poultry Farm . There's also a few on craiglist from time to time. I haven't used any of them. At this point I just have chickens and goats but like you am considering getting turkey for next year. We spent $77 dollars for an organic free range bird at Wegman's this year- and I'm a vegetarian.

I would LOVE to expand to quail.

Where in New Jersey? I could part with some quail. No shipping. Could meet you some where.

I'm in NJ too. There are two places I know of for turkey: McMurray and Jerseychickens and Schuster's Poultry Farm . There's also a few on craiglist from time to time. I haven't used any of them. At this point I just have chickens and goats but like you am considering getting turkey for next year. We spent $77 dollars for an organic free range bird at Wegman's this year- and I'm a vegetarian.

I would LOVE to expand to quail.
To be honest, unless you are going to have more than one turkey, you will probably end up spending or eclipsing the $77 mark. Between buying the bird, or hatching egg, chick feed, flock raiser feed...it won't be cheap.

Thanks for the heads up...about cost. Wouldn't look to make a profit, just eat my own turkey from my own backyard!

Back
Top Bottom