looking for turkey tom in Central Texas

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Bandera Grassland, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Bandera Grassland

Bandera Grassland Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    I have a one and half year-old Rio Grand hen that was raised with my chickens. She is very lonely and I'm looking for a companion for her. She walks around making the lost turkey call (I learned this language by watching the PBS video My Life as a Turkey http://video.pbs.org/video/2168110328/# -- highly recommended). My hen began laying eggs last year in February, but the eggs were not fertile. She stands on the roof of my chicken house apparently calling up the wild turkeys. However, she does not walk into the pasture were the wild flocks are and none of the wild individuals will come up into the barn yard either. I would like to find a domestically raised turkey tom that was raised with chickens the same as my hen, so I don't have to worry about aggressive behavior. My preference is for a Heritage Breed other than a Rio Grande, in hopes of the pair remaining pets and not going off to join the wild flocks. Does anyone have a Royal Palm tom or Bourbon Red or a cross between the two breeds that they would be willing to sell?

Debbie Davis
    [email protected]

2. TexasToucan

TexasToucan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Sorry I didn't see this posting until just now......

I have a friend who has three Bourbon Red toms who would be willing to sell you one. See lives near Floresville (about 20 miles south of San Antonio). Let me know if you are interested and how much you would be willing to pay for it.

3. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    That is a beautiful Lav there Texas, if you ever have a roo you want to part with let me know. My Lav Orp roo did not pass the survival of the fittest and committed suicide.

Christal

4. Bandera Grassland

Bandera Grassland Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    I have no idea what toms are worth. I'll pay whatever the going rate is. Most importantly, were these toms raised with chickens?

5. TexasToucan

TexasToucan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Quote:I had three extra Lavender Orpington roos this spring, but I did already rehome them. I really love their personalities, even more than the BBS and the Buff Orpingtons. I purchased my lavs as day-old chicks from The Fancy Chick (http://thefancychick.com), and can't say enough about them. The chicks were healthy and friendly. She included an extra lav, which was good as I lost one during shipping (I think it got stepped on), but when you are getting 20 chicks that is pretty good.

@Bandera Grassland:

I replied to you via PM.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by