Looking for two (2) laying hens in Sacramento

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Pluto, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Pluto

Pluto Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    Hi, brand new (urban) chicken owner hear looking for two to three laying hens in the Sacramento area. Their coop should be finished sometime this weekend. They will be inclosed in a raised coop at night, in a 12x6 chain link run, with range of the yard when supervised. Breed is not too important (crosses or culls OK), but I want them to be more of the layer type then meat as I won't be eating them and have limited room. Friendly young hens preferred, do not have to be laying yet, but I don't want to accidently end up with a Rooster (good neighbor). Thanks!

2. glowworm

glowworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    SacraTomato, CA
    you can try the stockton show in a couple weeks.

I have chicks that I hatched from eggs I got here but it sounds like you want started pullets.

3. Pluto

Pluto Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    Thanks glowworm. I'm not really in a rush. I have noticed hens seem to pop up quite a bit on craigslist, but many are pretty feral. My concern with an auction is that as a beginner I don't really know what to look for in a chicken/hen. Raising chicks would be fun, but since there is a pretty good chance of 50% of them being roosters I don’t know what I would do when I ended up with one or two (especially once I was attached). This probably isn’t the place for this question, but are there any breeds of roosters that are known for being a bit quieter?

P.S. I love your avatar, we have an 11 yo tri colored aussie that is my shadow.

(edited for spelling)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:Hi Pluto- Welcome to the forum!
    Lucky for you, a lot of BYC members go to the Stockton show and would be willing to help you pick out a couple of healthy girls. There is a sub forum about community meet ups and shows. Look in there to see if people are talking about the Stockton show. That would be a great place to ask for help.

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Actually... here you go. CLICK HERE

Looks like the BYC'ers are going to meet up at the show. You should join them!

6. Pluto

Pluto Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    Thanks Carrie, I will definitely look into it. I actually recently helped a friend build a nice big coop (10x10 inside with another attached 10x12 shed that we can expand too if I want to trench more wire in around the inside) in a more rural area and she is about ready to get hens, so even if I "chicken out" I can probably get her to go down there with me and look around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by