Looking for Vorwerks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by earthdance, Aug 29, 2010.

1. earthdance

earthdance Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2009
    Laurelville, OH
    I would really like to get my hands on some hatching eggs from this breed, but I'm having trouble locating a breeder. I have contacted Lund poultry and they won't have fertile eggs until after show season (sometime in Oct). I was hoping to get some sooner than this so I'm broadening my search. I'd appreciate any leads.

2. Falcon61

Falcon61 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
  3. earthdance

earthdance Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2009
    Laurelville, OH
    Yeah I'm looking for the true Vorwerk (not Lakenvelders). Chickhatchery.com took them off the pricelist so I'm assuming they don't work with them anymore. And other sites that have them are in the UK. I'm in the U.S.

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    There aren't any standards in the US.

My boys are about 6# and hens around 4#. I've considered working on a larger version, but have too many projects on right now.

I'm selling this flock, despite the genetic diversity and time it's taken to put 3 unrelated lines together. I've culled all but 4 pullets and 2 cockerels (3 if you count the spontaneous rumpless mutant I keep as a pet!).

If you're interested in eggs, I'm happy to sell some. I've just cleared my waiting list (finally!).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by