Looking for ways to attach chicken wire to chainlink!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SSO202, Aug 31, 2008.

1. SSO202

SSO202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Hartwood, VA 22406
    I have been using small guage wire and wrapping it through the chicken wire and then through the chainlink on the kennel frame. I have sometimes cut the chicken wire in spots and intertwined it into the chainlink. My fingers are about raw from the wire. Any other suggestions?

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    what about using plastic zip ties? samll ones are not that expensive to buy and you can get them at any hardware store

3. Just-Like-Hatching

Just-Like-Hatching Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Dothan, AL
    Hog rings are the best way.

4. HenniePennie

HenniePennie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2007
    Oregon
    Two years ago my neighbors chickens (they had about 60 then) kept getting into my garden & eating my corn plants. They helped me put up a 5' chicken wire fence around my garden last year. I had to attach the wire to the "T" posts & I did it with zip ties.
    Gosh was that easy or what???
    So when I put a fence up around the girl's hen house I used the zip ties to attach the 5' poultry wire to the existing chain link 4' fence. Easy up and easy down if I want.
    Also this year my girls are going over the 4' chain link to the neighbors and then can't figure out how to get back home. So I have clipped on wing on each of the girls and added 3' poultry fencing to the 4' chain link....again easy up and easy down if need be.
    Zip ties are the best invention since sliced bread!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I agree with the hog rings, or you could use the wire you're already using and use a small pair of pliers to wrap it, saves the fingers lots of pain.

6. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I used zip ties!

7. funkychickenowner

funkychickenowner Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2008
    Sussex County NJ
    Zip ties black ones seem to resist UV better than white.

8. JessicaGrant

JessicaGrant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Western Mass
    I used zip ties, too. People say they won't last, and I believe them, but they were so easy (and relatively inexpensive) so I won't mind replacing them as they wear out. Good luck!

9. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I swear by zip ties !!! We have used them to make a broiler run and to put chicken wire around the bottom of our goat pen. FAST!!!!!

10. 3 sisters farm

3 sisters farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    puyallup wa
    my hens in 8 weeks have actually suceeded in removing some by pecking...about 10 now...I thought I had a great idea, but either need heavier ties or wire. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by