Looking for White Dorkings

goosemama

Songster
10 Years
Jul 11, 2009
Forestville, New York
Would like to find White Dorking chicks but cannot seem to find anyone who ships - have checked out Sandhill and Ideal websites but maybe its just me but I can't figure out from their info if they are available now in October or not?. It may be too late to ship - I'm not sure? Does anyone know a private breeder who would ship to New York State or close enough that I could drive over and pick them up? I'd like to have a few started by Spring as I hear they are great brooders. I do like the white but would be interested in the Silver backed as well.

I can answer the Sandhill part. They're just about done hatching for the year and are only shipping out fall assortments. You could send in an order now for next spring. But you can't get just dorking chicks from them now.

As for Ideal I believe they're sold out of all dorkings for the year. You'd have to call to make sure though.

You're probably best off planning for next year unless you can find a small breeder somewhere who has some started birds.

-Cindy in MA

Cindy - thank you for taking the time to send some info. Ideal doesn't seem to even list Dorkings on their website. McMurray Hatchery is sold out and I just can't figure out Sandhill's website info. Was hoping to get some started this Fall so they would be ready to lay by Spring and become "broody" mothers. Oh well - more patience is required apparently!

Thanks for the suggestion of yellow house farm, but have been on their website and they apparently are sold out for 2009 and they don't ship (bummer). I am so confused by Sandhill's website. When you click onto "chicks" it says "Sold out until Fall 2009". So I would presume they are taking orders this Fall????? but cannot seem to get anywhere. Have written them a couple of letters with no replies so maybe I'll call and try to sort this out. I'm getting to the point of buying a small incubator and trying next to buy fertile Dorking eggs, yet I am so fearful after one Forum member went through with deformed and dead chicks etc.

Today was Sandhill's last hatch day, and they've had no Dorkings for a while. You can send in your order now and if they get it before Nov 1 you can use this year's chick price and shipping cost.

Oh yeah, today is Monday and Linda is in the office now to answer questions if you want to call.

I would try a Dorking breeder club. I would expect there has to be at least one breeder out there who has a young pair or trio ready to go.

-Cindy

Last edited:
You should consider making the drive to New Hampshire next spring for the Dorkings from Yellow House farm. We got ours there and they are beautiful. We just slaughtered 6 of our roosters today, but have kept one and will breed them with the hens in the spring. One of the roosters is cooking right now- apparently Dorking meat is amazing, so I'll let you know!

Back
Top Bottom