Looking for Wyandotte experts - Pullet or Roo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gordonburrito, May 14, 2010.

1. gordonburrito

gordonburrito Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Mid-Missouri
    Here is one of our new chicks. This is our 3rd wyandotte chick (the other 2 were killed in a dog attack a few weeks back). This chick was our replacement since we wanted to see what it would be like to raise a wyandotte to at least to egg laying age. This one is not as aggressive as our last pullets. Our last wyandotte pullets were actually pretty aggressive and dominated the pecking order even though they weren't our biggest chicks. This one only comes into action when there is food involved. This chick is a follower and cries loudly "peep peep peep" if she finds herself alone. We've been calling her "whiney wyandotte" since we don't have a proper name for her. Well her comb is starting to take off differently than our other wyandotte chicks did. Having said that she is from a feed store (from a bin labeled wyandotte pullets), so her breeding maybe less than ideal (she could be a mutt). She sure doesn't act like any roo chick I've seen, but this chick has us worried based on appearance. Our others did get a pink comb by this age but it wasn't so spiky (more flat)....but again this is a feed store chick. Thoughts?

Some early shots, this is our chick a few days old (we think)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are some more recent ones from different angles for your viewing pleasure (excuse our basement bathroom....it had the best light for this time of day). This chick is likely 2 1/2 to 3 weeks old. We are not familiar with the intricacies of Wyandotte sexing so help is appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    He has a single comb and it is soo pink I am sure -boy

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Yes, you have a roo.

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I believe the breed standard for Wyandottes is a rose comb (the "flat" comb you described) but hatchery wyandottes can have a single comb (the spiky kind). Yours has a single comb and for the age it is too pink to be a girl. Sorry...

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:X2

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Yes the standard calls for the rose comb, but from the pictures posted on here this spring I think the hatcheries are hatching more single combs than rose combs.

7. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Fertility is supposed to be better with a single comb bird in the mix, which would explain the high incidence of single combs in hatchery birds.

That is definitely a roo. He's darling!

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I try not to use single comb birds since that isn't what the standard calls for...but they still pop up sometimes. I haven't noticed any differences in fertility.

9. <3<3 I <3 Chickens <3<3

<3<3 I <3 Chickens <3<3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Earth
    don't worry about him being a boy- they are little angles..... all except for in the spring [​IMG]

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I agree, you have a boy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by