Looking for Your Best Portable Dust Bath Solutions!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by getdownfarm, Jun 5, 2017.

1. getdownfarm

getdownfarm Just Hatched

Nov 4, 2016
    Michigan
    Hey everyone!

I'm in the midst of designing an inexpensive and effective portable dust bath for our birds and I'd love to see photos of yours. We have a sandbox that works well when the chickens are near it (photo below) but I rotate them around our pasture and it's not always in the rotation. I would love to see your ideas! Thanks!

Anita
    Get Down Farm
    check out our laying hen contest!

Attached Files:

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Mine make their own dust bathes :barnie Reason #2 to watch where you step. lol

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @getdownfarm :frow Welcome To BYC

Hmm...mine dig their own holes in the run:)

I do see your point to have something portable if you are constantly moving them. Depends on how big your rotation areas are, but you could use a wheelbarrow, just add some dirt, sand, ash, etc. Would be easy to move.

Just my thoughts.

aart likes this.
  4. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Or a cart...like the radio flyer type. They can be hard to find and new ones are expensive but you might be able to fix up something similar that is on wheels or a sled.

getdownfarm, aart and Wyorp Rock like this.
  5. HenOnAJuneBug

HenOnAJuneBug Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2015
    Mine make their own dust bath heaven underneath the porch. My cat loves to poop in it.

Just pile up some dirt wherever they are and they will use it.

getdownfarm likes this.
  6. Doc Schoepp

Doc Schoepp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2017
    Colorado Springs
    I made a makeshift one using a plastic bin we had from a birthday part that held drinks. I made the raised one so they would have it available in the snow and rain without worry over the run being a giant mud puddle

getdownfarm likes this.
  7. getdownfarm

getdownfarm Just Hatched

Nov 4, 2016
    Michigan
    Anyone ever used an old tire filled with ash? Saw that recently and thought it cool.

8. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Not very portable though unless you either put a board down inside it first so you can lift it with all the sand and ash, which would be really heavy, or you refill it every time you move it.

aart and rosemarythyme like this.
  9. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I use a small black plastic tub for mixing concrete. The bottom corners are rounded to make mixing easier. I got it at Lowe's. I got the next size up, drilled two holes in the lip and attached a rope. I fill it with garden waste and pull it around the yard like a sled when I do yard work. I think you could do the same but just fill it with sand. Maybe drill a few holes for drainage and line the bottom with landscape cloth to keep the sand from leaking out when you move it.

aart and Wyorp Rock like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by