Looking forward to jumping into the world of chickens!

gertie1

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 5, 2013
Just getting started, and am hopeful that I can learn tons about chickens and all related topics. My husband completed a fantastic coop for me this fall, and now I am wondering if I should be getting chicks now, or wait for the spring auction in our community and buy pullets.

Hello from Oregon & welcome to BYC. It all depends on what your looking for. If you want eggs right away you can buy pullets or if your looking to raise your flock from a young age & and watch there life cycles you can get little fluffy butts. I have done both. My flock it mixed from 5 month old pullets to 3 yr old hens. My young pullets are the only ones i have every owned that i did not raise from day old chicks. There is great info on this site in the learning tabs above. Best of luck :)

Personally, I'm waiting for spring just because that's when most of the hatcheries ship again and I will have a good selection of different places to order from and different breeds to choose from. You will probably have a better selection in the spring as well because spring is "chicken season" (that's why I like it so much
D.gif
). However, I've bought chicks locally in the winter before too, but I don't let them out into their "chick run" because of the cold. They just seem so much happier when they get to go outside in the nice weather.
smile.png

Just getting started, and am hopeful that I can learn tons about chickens and all related topics. My husband completed a fantastic coop for me this fall, and now I am wondering if I should be getting chicks now, or wait for the spring auction in our community and buy pullets.

Ok thanks for all the great feedback so quickly!

Back
Top Bottom