Looking forward to my first chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MrsWolfe, Mar 1, 2013.

1. MrsWolfe

MrsWolfe Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2013
    Leominster, MA
    We are new to owning chickens and gathering as much information as possible. My first chicks are expected in April and have been looking at coop designs. I have ordered 8 chicks, Black sex links, Columbian Rock, Rhode Island Red, and Buff Orpingtons. I'm still confused as to how big I should make the coop and yard. They will be range free during the days. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Welcome to BYC! General rule of them 4 sq ft per chicken in coop (with 12 inches of roost space per bird) and 10 sq ft in the run area.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, MrsWolfe, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! Pleased you are joining the poultry universe. Some great information can be found in the links below. I do know that 4 sq. ft/bird is recommended in the coop and 10 sq. ft. /bird is the recommended run size. Sounds like a lot but that's only a 8 x 4 coop and an 8 x 10 run for your eight birds. I would advise making everything bigger, however. You may want to add birds in the future (look up "chicken math: sometime). Enjoy your chicks and best of luck!

Here is the Learning Center link - all the ins and outs of responsible chicken care and maintenance.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/

For when your chicks arrive here is a the Baby Chicks forum - preuse old threads and post questions:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks

4. MrsWolfe

MrsWolfe Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2013
    Leominster, MA
    Thank you for the links I'll check them out.

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Agree completely. And bigger is better in case the chicken bug bites you bad.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

7. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    Hi from Kentucky![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by