1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Looking good enough to eat

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by California Gurl, Jul 25, 2011.

1. California Gurl

California Gurl In the Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    I have 3 Dark Cornish hens and sometime when I pick them up, I think to myself "man you would be some good tasting chicken." [​IMG] They're so big and plump and I can't help but have some evil thoughts towards them. But I can't do it, I don't have the guts to process them. I have had many people wanting to buy them after picking them up and feeling that they are heavier then they look, I kindly refuse to sell the Girls to them. Am I the only one who think that way?[​IMG] I can process other chickens, but not ones that I raised from chicks.

2. PikeCo

PikeCo In the Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Ohio
    It seems to me that the ones we never intended to process from the start pretty much became pets to us. I think that is fairly normal when you care for them.

3. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Songster

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    I have some Dark Cornish for layers, and they are such sweeties! I couldn't imagine butchering them either. I had NO trouble whatsoever with butchering our CX. My girls are my babies, I know how you feel!

4. RWD

RWD Songster

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.
    I dont care to kill hens, they have a better purpose than the pot. Roo's on the other hand are not a problem at all to eat.

5. California Gurl

California Gurl In the Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Quote:They are pretty good layers and mothers too. I have had one hatched out eggs in late may and the other two are sitting on eggs right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by