Looking into getting a chicken coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DragunzGirl, Aug 1, 2013.

1. DragunzGirl

DragunzGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    Well looking into getting my first chicken coop :). I have a hen im keeping :D YAY!!!!

I might be adding another Hen to her latter on but right now I only have one Hen.
    I want to know if this is ok for one chicken? she is a regular size.

http://www.petco.com/product/122333...t=MM_SmallAnimalSupplies_CagesHabitatsHutches

It opens at the bottom so was thinking of having it open to let her run around in our fenced in yard when we are home. And to keep her up when we are not home or at night.

2. JenW

JenW Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2012
    Deer Park, TX
    I would think its a bit small, but if she will be roaming during the day I guess it would make a good safe place to stay. Have you considered building one? Might be cheaper & you could make it bigger. Just a thought! Im not very handy with tools but had my grandfather help build mine out. :)
    Please consider getting at least one more chicken sooner than later. They're flock animals & really should not be kept alone. Its a sad life for a single chicken.

3. Motts

Motts Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2013
    That may be okay, especially if you were planning on free ranging. I agree, at least two chickens would be best. I ended up buying a coop from a local builder, but I came close to ordering a coop. From many other posts here, be prepared that it may be poorly constructed and need re-inforcing and some sort of sealent or roof-water picking. I found my coop on craigslist:)

Good luck!

4. DragunzGirl

Aug 9, 2008
    kk, :) ya I will get me another Hen for sure for her. No roosters tho lol. I Can have hen's here but no roosters :\.. We have a small yard with a fence around it, and Ya she and the one i will get latter are going to be able to roam the yard when we are home. I really am not wanting no more than two chickens any way. They will be pet only :) but ya i know they will lay eggs :p. I been looking on craigslist around my area, but dont seem to see any pen's right now on there that are not to big and are low cost.
    I would build one but im not reallllly good with tools lol. My dad is ok tool person but not sure if he is up to building a chicken coop for me but i'll see.

5. Motts

Motts Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2013
    Do you have a free cycle near you? You can post a want for a coop or scrap wood to build the coop. Also old fences or pallets can be used.

Good luck!

6. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Good luck! Using wooden pallets is always a good idea. You might be able to find them FREE (isn't that a lovely word) or for a few $$ a piece.

7. DragunzGirl

Aug 9, 2008
    K :) well we did alot of talking and well me and my dad are going to try to build one :D we all ready stared LOL. Also, about getting antoher hen, i did :) I got 2 now :) thats all i want.
    Well we will make the coop big enough for the two birds and put a nice run on it to so they can enjoy there time even while we are not home.

8. DragunzGirl

Aug 9, 2008
    [​IMG]

9. LOLchick

LOLchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    California
    Good job on the coop. Much better than the one you wanted to buy. And I'm sure your hen is so happy to have a friend too. Other than you of course. [​IMG]

10. JenW

JenW Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2012
    Deer Park, TX
    Thats awesome! Looks great! And congrats on your new addition, nice to know you won't have a lonely chicken! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by