1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking into getting chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kathy1, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Kathy1

Kathy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

This is so addicting..... I am now looking into getting some new chicks to add to my huge flock ...of 2 lol. [​IMG][/img]These are the breeds I was looking at.

Sebrights: Silver or Gold
    White Crested Black Polish
    Easter Egger
    Frizzle: Black or Red or splash
    Polish: Golden Laced or Silver Laced,
    Bearded Buff Laced Polish Hen
    Wyandotte – Columbian or Golden Laced or Silver Laced
    Buff Ameraucana Hen

I was looking for colorful and different breeds. I read these breeds are hardy in winter and I think that seabrights are the noisest of the bunch. Is that true? I cant have roo's so these will be all hens maybe 18-10 birds total ** Also are ameraucana and EE's the same???
    Please and thanks in advance for any info!

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    My Wyandottes are the great egg layers in my flock. As are my cochins - beautiful and productive.
    Polish? They are toy chickens IMHO. I cut back from 9 to 4. They are just kind of goofy... when they aren't being mean to others [​IMG] .
    Oh, you kind of opened a can of worms with the Auracana, americanna, easter egger thing. (Please, I hope no one highjacks this thread on the E. egger issue... [​IMG] ) No, they're not all the same. And there's been a TON written on it, here.

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

EE's are nice but can take awhile to lay. I have heard great things about Wyandotte, but I do not own them.

4. chicken master

chicken master Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    South carolina
    If you want colorful chickens that lay lots of eggs Easter Eagers are the way to go. I raise them they are so calm and make great chickens.

5. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    My easter eggers started laying in January, at 6 months of age, with no supplemental light or heat. They are both laying nearly every day. I love them, and would highly recommend them to anyone.

6. flamingauburnmustang

flamingauburnmustang Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    South Africa
    Go ahead Kathy. It can only get better. [​IMG]

That sounds like a great choice. Me, I'm clueless with breeds. [​IMG]

Enjoy, and send in pictures soon!!!

7. henjoy

henjoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    You can't go wrong with Wyandottes. They are great winter layers and very hardy. My Sebrights are noisy and a bit standoffish but certainly attractive. They roos are pretty scrappy but I have to laugh at them because they are so little and they act so big! I don't have experience with your other choices but you should get the ones that interest you and then you will decide which ones are best for you. Every breed has its good points.

8. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    My EE and Wyandotts are the first to run out into the snow in the morning and stay out in it all day where the Ameraucanas and others tend to retreatt to the coop more.

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

About sebrights. I breed the Silver variety. Some roosters can be downright nasty. I have one rooster who will attack you, and 2 others who wont. They are noisy, and they are very hardy during the winter. My hens are also pretty good layers once they get going. Also, they are flightly little birds.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  10. Kathy1

Kathy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL I have to decide what I am going to get. I want winter hardy, quiet and friendly, colorful birds that lay all types of colored eggs [​IMG]

I saw a thread about EE and ameraucanas, very interesting reading. I see they are different breeds and they are very pretty. The seabrights are so pretty but I worry about their noise are they really noisy ??? And will they get picked on. I wanted to get one of each of the breeds I listed will they get along or do some of them have the tendancy to pick on others?

I love the penciling that some of the breeds have!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by