Looking on CL for wood shavings are these woods okay for chickens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stone_family3, Aug 7, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    maple, cypress, orange osage, they're asking $2 for a garbage bag full.

2. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
  3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Are they actual shavings or shreds/chips? I got fooled on that one. And at that price? Cheaper to get the shavings at TSC!

4. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    They said it was shavings.

5. inohio

inohio Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2009
    Here in Ohio, there is a place that does something shaving wood. Their equipment pushes it all into a savings bin (think of sawdust up to small chips). They guarantee no walnut (they know its bad for horses). They charge $6/vehicle and you have to bag your own. I can take an F250 in and fill about 12 contractor bags (what ever I can fit on the truck) and it's $6. This is their way of getting rid of their shavings.

Not sure who is asking $2/bag, but if you look at the TSC bales, it will be cleaner (100% pine) and possibly cheaper in the long run becaue (a) those bales are VERY compressed (they expand to enough to bed a 10x10 stall in a couple inches, I use 2 bales in a totally cleaned out stall) and (b) they are selling a dried product. When you compare the shavings that I got from the local mill to the TSC shavings, the TSC shavings are going to absorb more (as in 15 to 25% more) liquids. You also have a better hope that the shavings are not contaminated with any fungus or nasty stuff.

Where you are at, that may be a good deal, but I'd hate to live in that economy.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  6. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

We used to buy BIG mixed bags of shavings from a local logging family, all different kinds of wood including cedar in some and it never bothered the chickens, ducks or goats. I never used it for the babies though. We paid $3 for one of those huge yard waste bags. they quit selling though [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by