1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Looking pretty good with PICS

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Granny Hoffman, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Granny Hoffman

Granny Hoffman Songster

Jul 19, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Before
    [​IMG]
    After one week of Vaseline and 7 dust
    [​IMG]
    Before
    [​IMG]
    After one week of Vaseline and 7 dust
    [​IMG]

My question is: there still seems to be a grainy like substance still on his feet. Should I use some WD40 and clean them off and do another week of the Vaseline and 7 dust. By the way these are the feet of a polish rooster.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2010
  2. Granny Hoffman

Granny Hoffman Songster

Jul 19, 2010
    SE Michigan
    bump

3. Granny Hoffman

Granny Hoffman Songster

Jul 19, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Anyone

4. welasharon

welasharon Songster

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I can't answer you but I just want you to know I am so glad you got him this far. They just looked so very bad!

5. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Songster

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I had the same problem with a roo I rescued and used pemetheren (sp?) and bag balm worked great. [​IMG] your doing great I would continue. Maybe soak his feet in warm water dry and apply.

6. kylara70

kylara70 In the Brooder

May 13, 2010
    Make sure you put in the title what you need, someone will answer if they know there is a question.

I am a COMPLETE newbie so I have no experience, but another thread had this in it and the knowlegable folks said to soak in warm water and rub with a brush to remove dried scales. Type in Scaly leg mites and see if you can find the directions.

Carol

7. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Songster

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I've read you can spray wd 40 and get a good stiff brush and brush the legs to work it up under the scales. His legs look so much better, I would do the wd 40 between vaseline and sevin applications.

8. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Songster

The last 2 posts were on the right track... WD40 everyday for 2 weeks and warm water soaks with a soft bristle tooth brush. They are looking so much better already!

9. gmendoza

gmendoza Songster

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    W e use Pam spray on their feet to get rid of scaly leg.It works just as good,but the chickens also wont get sick by touching wd40.I of course am a stanch fan of wd40 and duct tape and wont bash em if I didn't have a good reason,but spray Pam is great.Get the garlic kind.

Otherwise good job.Now lets take care of them spurs [​IMG]

10. Chick-a-roos

Chick-a-roos Songster

Jun 3, 2009
    Blue Ridge, GA
    Quote:I tried numerous methods and nothing really worked but I agree....."Pam spray" works miracles on their feet and so easy to use!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: