looking start breeding some crosses any ideas?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by wanttobefarmer, Jul 4, 2010.

1. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    I have australorps, buffs, speckled sussex, Easter eggers, cuckoo marans, red and black sex links. I'd like to create some cool colors and styles. thinking maybe a seabright or old english game roos for crosses. I'd like to breed more EE's. Can i breed a ameracauna or EE rooster to my Buffs or australorps and create EE's? I can post pics of my hens if any one needs to see them for ideas. Also if i'm in the wrong category let me know

2. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Maybe you should come up with a goal and then go from there.

3. wanttobefarmer

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    ok my goal is to get some striking looking birds and i wanted to know if anyone has already come up some great color combos with these chickens, my goal with some is to create some easter eggers with the EEs i already have and possibly create some new ones with an EE roo. One of my questions was can you mate an EE roo to buffs or australorps and gett EEs. Thanks I'd love to see pics of cool crosses.

4. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    I think there is a 50/50 chance. Is this project to start a new recognized breed by the apa?

5. wanttobefarmer

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    No this project is strictly for fun as i recently bought land and love chickens.
    Quote:

6. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    I have some Cuckoo Maran bred to EE's and most of them look like CM's with puffy cheeks and rose combs.
    Some of the shades of grey are beautiful but otherwise not striking at all. They do lay a cool coloured olive green egg.
    I have one Buff Orp/ Austro cross, very pretty. Gold on the front shading to Black in the rear. Big fluffy bottomed cranky hen we call her Margaret Thatcher.
    I have one BM crossed with a FBCM and she is very pretty. Black dotted in dark rust feathers.

I am pretty sure if you mate a EE Roo to a dark egg layer you could get a brown, olive or green/blue egg.
    The prettier the birds the more feather colours you should get.

7. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I have some buff orp/red sex link crosses. Very pretty light red with gold hints and white tail feathers on some of the pullets and the rest are just a really light red.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've gotten some pretty EEs crossing my Blue Wheaten Ameraucana roo to my Black Sex link and my Cinnamon Queen and to my BBL Polish and to my Salmon Faverolle. All fun looking EEs.

9. wanttobefarmer

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    That sounds fun. I'm going to choose prob 2 different roos to cover the 6 breeds so that is helpful in choosing. i'm considering an old english game bird or a seabright for their color. thanks
    Quote:

10. wanttobefarmer

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Nice, I'm really curious what my sex ling crosses will look like. People seem to discourage breeding sexlinks because you won't get the same sex link traits but i've seen photos of sex link crosses that were beautiful and some say they are still great layers.
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by