Looking to add EE's

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NCchickenlady, Oct 29, 2008.

1. NCchickenlady

NCchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    raleigh
    Are they nice?[​IMG]

I have silkies and they hardly say a word! I would like to get colored eggs and was thinking about adding EE's. any thoughts? behavior differences? I guess they roost at night (which would be different from silkies) is that correct??
    Any thoughts
    Thanks
    Beth

2. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    They can be; of coarse anytime that you give them special attention helps. They are a little flighty by nature and tend to duck underneath the rest if scared. They don't do well mixed with big breeds as chicks because they duck under and Giants or Barred pile on top. We sold one that layed an egg in a basket on our back porch, she went to a nice family with kids..

3. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    I have 6 -they do quite well. I never had a piling problem even though I had 2 jersey giants, but I do not have bantams.

We just got eggs the first week of October -23 weeks old! But I think they are beautiful and have very fun personalities. They mix well with most all the other birds we have -I have no negative comments to make on them at all. I would certainly order this kind again.

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I have both standard EE's(from feed store) and Bantam EE's i ordered from Mypetchicken. My bantams are so much friendlier/sweeter than my big birds. You can small order with them too [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  5. gotchooks?

gotchooks? Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I have 3...One is a sweetie pie and the other two aren't mean but they avoid me if at all possible. They're the only ones that won't take treats from my hand. That's okay, I think they will come around...maybe. [​IMG]

6. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    Gotchooks, try grapes.....

Bite them in half first then hang on to them (or try to!) while they bite them out of your fingers... They have to come real close and get comfy, lured in by the sweet treats!
    It worked like a charm for ours.

7. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 2 EEs that are living a happy life w/ a BO roo and a RIR, BO, Light Brahma and a Bl Copper Marans. They do well together.
    They are a little smaller in size than the others, but if the BO roo does his dance and my littlest EE isn't interested... she stands right up to him and doesn't let down... it's funny to see.

I also raise a whole bunch this past spring - most were really willing to be picked up and we got attached.... unfortunately, they were all roos [​IMG] and I had to find them homes.

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

We have 2. One is a b&*tch, and the other is just kind of there. The mean one lays HUGE green eggs and the other one lays HUGE pinkish eggs. So they are worth it to me. The one doesn't really bully the others but she certainly isn't the have people over to dinner type!

9. NCchickenlady

NCchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    raleigh
    Thanks Everyone!!

Now to find some Bantam EE's in NC:rolleyes:

10. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    I have 3 EE hens and they are the flightiest of all the breeds I have. I have a rooster though (are the roosters called EE's too?) and he is extremely handsome, well-mannered around us and a real lady's man--even though he came in as a young stud to a flock of about 18 mature ladies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by