Looking to add to my flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by farmermurphy, Oct 7, 2016.

1. farmermurphy

farmermurphy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2016
    I have a coop at my school in Georgia and am looking to add 4 or 5 more hens to our flock. I need to to see about adding Black Copper Marans, Australorps, Faverolles, Opringtons or Welsummers to my flock. Had two Copper Marans but they died. Currently I have two Laced Wyandottes, a Bluff Orpington, 2 Easter Eggers, 2 Cream Legbars, Barred Rock, and two Rhode Island Reds. I would like to add 4-5 month old hens and want feedback as to which breeds would fit best in flock and where would be the best place to get the hens. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Party on Wayne, Party on Garth Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    All the breeds you mentioned are compatible. Older birds you would would have to find locally, otherwise day old chicks are available from various hatcheries. My Pet Chicken sell started birds, as well as various breeders on this site.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Some hatcheries sell Point Of Lay birds, but they are very expensive to buy and ship.
    Finding POL's locally would be better, but finding reputable breeders may be difficult.

The bigger questions would would be....
    Do you have space in your coop and run for more birds?
    How do you plan to integrate more birds?
    Integration can take 'extra' and separate but adjacent space.
    Also, why did the other birds die and where did you get them?

Consider biological/medical quarantine:
    BYC Medical Quarantine Article
    Poultry Biosecurity
    BYC 'medical quarantine' search

Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
    This is good place to start reading:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I agree they are all compatible. Any problems you see will be because if individual personality, not because of breed. Yes, you will have to have an integration plan.

To find POL birds I suggest you chat with your neighbors. Especially this time of year they may have exactly what you are looking for or may know of local solutions.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/121387/yo-georgians/41350

5. farmermurphy

Apr 8, 2016
    Thanks for the reply, I am not replacing lost chickens, just need to add to flock now that I have an enclosed fence where they can free range a little. Have introduced younger birds before and found that very difficult as the older birds picked on them, some to the point that I had to give away a couple of birds that were severely injured. Thought it might be easier to introduce older birds as I noticed that after about 3 to 4 months of age the older one do not pick on the younger ones as much.

6. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I've personally found that integrating chicks(4 wks), with the right housing setup, is easier than integrating older(3-4 mos) birds.
    The chicks seemed to be less of a 'threat' to the older birds.....
    .....and the chicks are fast and can get away and hide in smaller places than older birds when threatened.
    As the chicks grow they are still low in pecking order but have learned how to anticipate and avoid the older birds 'schoolings'.
    Lots of ways to add new birds.

7. farmermurphy

Apr 8, 2016
    That is good to know, may go ahead and introduce them around 4 weeks, have always put them in dog crate inside coop for a week or two and then let them out for few hours a day for a couple of days before removing crate.

8. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I had mine brooding with heat in coop behind wire and wood wall from 1 week old,
    they had their own separate run too so they learned to navigate ramp in/out of coop/run.

Then at 4 weeks I opened the three tiny doors in wooden bottom portion of wall so they could wander into main coop,
    but still get into 'safe area' where they brooded and their food/water was.

At 6 weeks I took the wall down...and that was that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by