Looking to add to my flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mstkseavey, Aug 7, 2013.

1. mstkseavey

mstkseavey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2013
    Belleville, IL
    I am looking to add a few chickens to my flock. They additions must be good egg layers and docile. I am looking to a friendly good looking hen or two! What would you suggest?

2. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    I've read that barred rocks and orpingtons are good layers and sweet. Easter eggers seem good too. I have a 5 week old EE pullet. I also have 2 6 wk old cochins, one's a girl... the other I'm thinking boy. Cochins are sweet but not great layers though.

3. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Orpingtons are very friendly. Sex links are excellent egg layers and they're nice... most of the time. :lol:

4. K Spot

K Spot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    My Speckled Sussex is a great layer and is friendly too.

5. buttercup95

buttercup95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    RIR hens are the BEST, they're super friendly, dependable layers, and ever so beautiful!

6. mstkseavey

Jun 4, 2013
    Belleville, IL
    Thanks! I am researching those suggestions before the poultry swap meet next weekend!

7. samanthaburns

samanthaburns Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    Texas
    We love our BR. We are looking to add to our flock in the spring

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Of the breeds that I've had this spring, (Dominique, BSL, RIR, EE) I found that the RIR have been the most aggressive, the BSL, Doms, and EE have been friendly and not aggressive. My best 2 egg layers are BSL and RIR, neither one has missed a day in 2 weeks). EE are giving me 6 eggs/week. I don't have a laying history for the Doms as they ended up being all roosters... I guess I could say that my Doms were pretty poor layers!! Check out Henderson's chicken breed chart.

1 person likes this.
  9. mstkseavey

Jun 4, 2013
    Belleville, IL
    I was thinking EE to add for sure! :)

10. sarahem23

sarahem23 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2013
    Northumberland, UK
    I hatched some lovely RIR x Light Sussex earlier in the year and they have turned into some good looking girls and reliable layers too! Still a little flighty and nervous but they are integrating well with my other girls :) I would recommend them!

I'm thinking of some new Bantys soon...EEs are definatley on the list!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by