1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking to adopt/buy pet rats NJ/PA

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Chickerdoodle13, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I know this is somewhat of a stretch, but I have been looking around to either adopt or buy a pair of pet rats for awhile now. Every time I contact an adoption place, they give me this insane adoption application. While I dont really want to buy from a pet store, that seems to be the easiest route as of now!

I would love to take in someone's pets especially if they just cannot keep them anymore. I am very willing to pay a fee and I would even consider older rats. Male or females are both fine, but the pair has to be either or. I'm not looking to breed! These will be solely college pets and they will get a LOT of attention! I have done my research and I know more than enough what I am getting into.

It would be wonderful if you had a cage I could buy too, but let me know what you have! I may have to wait until summer when I can make enough money to buy a new cage and supplies if that is the case, but if anyone has rats AND a setup, let me know!

I am also interested in numbers of Breeders in my area. I am currently in South Jersey, but would be willing to travel to north jersey and PA to pick up my new pets!

2. buzzard chick

buzzard chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2007
    Toms River, NJ
    try south nj and central nj craigs list pet classified adds. There is a girl on there that does rat recue and she posts often with ones that need homes. Good luck.

Jen

3. Littlecimarron18

Littlecimarron18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    i wish you were in colorado, my step mom has given me till tuesday to find a new home for my rat b/c my cousin from nj is comming.

4. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Cimmaron, Send the rat with im to NJ! LOL

I have been looking on craigslist. I got an awesome lead off a friend of a guy giving away a male rat, the cage, food, bedding and everything completely FREE! I contacted him but he had already found someone to take him! He did offer to find me a nother deal like that, so I will talk to him. That would have been awesome because I would not have to to pay for anything! I don't mind paying money, but if I am going to have to buy all NEW stuff, I will have to wait until summer. Getting everything new will cost up to $100.

I will also keep that e-mail! I think I have heard of them before.

5. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Did you get on Goosemoose and check for breeders and rescues there? I used to do small animal rescue and we took in several rats from that forum. Plus there is a TON of informative ppl on there that can help you out.

6. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Buzzard chick, I just sent them an e-mail! I'm going to try and get the two females! We'll see though!

Thanks everyone for the help! I will keep you updated!

7. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ugh, looks like I was too late once again...I emailed the guy and he said someone told him they were interested before me. I was hoping they wouldn't want all the rats, but apparently they do. Ohhhh well. He's gonna contact me if it falls through and he says I could have the female dumbo pair.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by