Looking to buy Baby Cornish Game Hens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jenfur, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Jenfur

Jenfur New Egg

Jul 25, 2014
    Hello, I am wondering if there is anyone that knows where I might buy baby Cornish game hens? I live in Bellflower, California. It's close to Long Beach, Ca. It really doesn't matter how far within reason they are I will drive to get them. My father who is a very active 93 yr old wants 2,3or 4 baby chicks. He has lots of experience with different breeds of birds. Thank you for any help you may give me in locating some baby Cornish game hens.

Thanks Again,

Edited by staff
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2014
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    My understanding is that Cornish game hens are the same as Cornish x meat birds available probably at any hatchery etc. The difference is they are processed at about 1.5 lbs. or so, earlier than growing them out to be regular meat birds a few weeks later.

If you want to converse with people from your area, go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum. There you can locate your state thread (I believe Cal. has several depending on area of state) and post on it - very likely someone near you will have what you are seeking.
  3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Welcome to BYC, Jenfur! Glad you decided to join our flock. Drumstick diva is correct about Cornish Game hens. They are Cornish rooster X White Rock hen hybrids that grow superfast. The hens are butchered at about 2-2 1/2 lbs. and sold as Cornish Game hens. Almost every hatchery of any size breeds these Cornish X White Rocks, and they sell them under a variety of labels (Cornish Cross, Cornish X, Cornish X Rocks, Cornish Rocks, Cornish Game Hens, Hubbards, Hubbard Cornish Cross, White Broiler Chickens, etc. (often with the label "Jumbo" stuck in front of the name. I know of two hatcheries in California which sell the chicks, Belt Hatchery in Fresno (http://www.belthatchery.com/cc.htm), and California Hatchery in Rancho Cucamonga (http://www.californiahatchery.com/Meat-Chickens_c_20.html) and I'm sure there are a number of others. Hope this helps. Good luck in getting your chicks.
  4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Have a look in the Buy ~ Sell ~ Trade forum section and if you don't see any for sale in your state, you can place a "wanted" ad. Please note the system will require you to have a post count of 20 or more before you can place an ad. Best of luck and hope you find what you are looking for!
  5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

You've received some great links above.

Good luck and glad you joined!
  7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
  8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
  9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by