1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking to buy Blue Orpington chicks in Kentucky/Southern Indiana

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by moonflowers, Apr 26, 2009.

1. moonflowers

moonflowers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    I was just wondering if any one knows of someone who raises blue orpingtons within an hour of Louisville, Kentucky. My family owns a cabin in Grayson County as well so that would be easy for me to make a trip to. I am not sure when my husband will be up for more chicks (maybe not until next spring) but I thought I'd ask just so I would know if those are a possibility. I think I am going to end up with 5 girls and I'll have enough room for 8. I doubt I'll be able to just let those 3 possibilities just pass me by... . Other breeds I was considering are silver and/or gold laced wyandottes. Any suggestions? Right now I live in Louisville but after we have children and outgrow this house we'll be looking to move somewhere in the country where we can have a huge flock, I'd like to test drive a few more different breeds before then and maybe even see some people's set ups in rl!!

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  2. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    I'm also on the lookout for Blue Orpingtons (except I'm in Vermont) [​IMG]

3. moonflowers

Apr 3, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    UPDATE: Husband has approved me buying some this year, but we only want very young chicks. Our current chicks are about five weeks old so we would be willing to get some that are up to five weeks old. If they are that old we want pullets only. If anyone sells blue orpingtons as day old chicks we would be willing to drive up to 2 hours to get them. OR if you are willing to ship day old chicks we would also be interested. Also, does anyone know of ANY online hatchery that sells blue orpingtons?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sandhill Preservation and Catalpa Grove Farms sell blue Orps but they are sold out for quite some time. I have them, but I'm in Ga. Just to let you know that even at five weeks, you sometimes cannot tell the sex of those. One of our breeders had a cockerel she couldn't ID till he was over five months old!

From Sandhill:

Blue Orpington (EB): Nice, rich, slate blue colored birds. Gentle and calm. (See Glossary on Poultry Catalog Page for "Blue Genetics" explanation.) Chicks $5.00 each (20) (Sold Out For the Entire 2009 Season.)​

5. moonflowers

Apr 3, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Thank you so much! I guess I will have to wait a year (or two if I get pregnant). At least now I know where I can get some!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by