Looking to buy this coop off of Craigslist - Good deal or not?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PlentywoodFarm, Mar 16, 2013.

1. PlentywoodFarm

PlentywoodFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2013
    Gainesville, Missouri
    Hey guys,
    I'm very new to chickens, and I'd love some input. I've got six little chicks in a brooder right now, and I am looking to buy a coop/run. I am looking at buying this one off of Craigslist. It's listed for $300, and the owner says the run is about 4' x 10'. What do you guys think - is it priced right? I haven't done a lot of looking for coops before, so I don't have a good gauge of price, but it looks nice and functional to me.
    Thanks!
    Jessi

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Tiny coop. I doubt you'd fit more than four in that.

3. wayne hulgan

wayne hulgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Me too. Think its a little for 6 chicks.

4. PlentywoodFarm

Mar 15, 2013
    Gainesville, Missouri
    Oh really? How big should a coop be for six chickens? The seller said it should fit 5-8 chickens.

5. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    It's a nice little coop and run, but for 6 chickens, the coop should be at least 24 square feet or 4 square feet per chicken. The run is only 40 square feet. For 6 chickens you will want a run of at least 60 square feet or 10 square feet per chicken. Small space can lead to problems amongst the chickens.

6. cknkids

cknkids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2012
    Camarillo, CA
    10sq ft of run space per chicken and 4sq ft of house space. If the house is only used for sleeping you can get by with less. If they spend significant time free ranging each day less space is need. Also that one looks like chicken wire which isn't predator proof especially from raccoons. Hardware cloth is safer.

7. LittleRedCoop53

LittleRedCoop53 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Hey~
    I think you can find a much better deal... i even see coops for free from time to time. Good luck :)

8. PlentywoodFarm

Mar 15, 2013
    Gainesville, Missouri
    Wow, thanks for the input. I'm glad I asked... I was totally sold on it because it looked nice and I thought it was plenty big enough. Back to looking for plan B.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by