Looking to buy turkeys

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Countrywife, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    prefarably young, hubby wants to put some turkeys in with the chickens, and since I want ducks, must give in on the turkeys. I know nothing about turkey breeds, so educate me!

Thanks

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    If your planning to KEEP them, you will want to get heritage breeds, the BB(broadbreast get too big)

3. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    Look at the Turkey thread on here and research.
    It will depend on what you are wanting them for. Just to look at, food source, can they reproduce?
    My turkey's free range with my chickens, but turkey's can pass on illnesses to chickens. So some people keep them seperated.
    I have Midget Whites, because I just like to look at them. [​IMG]

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I do not keep turkeys in with chickens.

I raise bronze turkeys and have hatching eggs every spring.

5. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    I also keep my turkeys separate from the chickens. I have Bourbon Reds and they are just the sweetest & most docile things.......

6. spydertoys

spydertoys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Munfordville, Kentucky
    Me too.

7. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Where in Carolina are you? We have some White Hollands up on the Eastern NC craigslist that are about 9 - 10 months old and after Christmas we will have Bourbon Red and Standard Bronze for sale. In the spring we will have poults of all the varietes we raise.

Steve in NC

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I do keep turks in with my chickens,have for years. They are great for keeping hawks away ,& have never gotten my chickens sick.[​IMG]

I raise Royal Palms, Slates, & 3 crossbreeds

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2009
  9. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I have mine together some of the turkeys were hatched by hens, so I am sure someone would say I am doing it wrong. Calll you ag agent, and see if BLACKHEAD is known to be in your area, if not you are probably safe, most that keep thiers seperate, dont know why they keep them seperate, but thats they way its always been, or that is the way they learned. If you only have one coop, I would let them in together.

P.S. On a side note, I wouldnt have ducks in with my turkeys or chickens because they are Messy with a capital M.

10. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Not sure if we have blackhead around here, but mine are separate because some of my chickens are tiny,
    I don't want them mashed by my huge less-than-graceful-turkeys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by