Looking to Confirm Breeds

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MedSchlFarmers, Jan 21, 2016.

1. MedSchlFarmers

MedSchlFarmers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2016
    North Carolina
    I have 7 new chicks. They will be 3 weeks on Sunday. I believe I have 2 Lavender Orpingtons, 1 White Orpington, 3 Americaunas, and 1 Silkie. Is this what I have? Any indications of gender at this point? [​IMG]
    Zaxby (has light brownish tint on top of head) White Orpington?
    [​IMG]
    Brownie, Americauna?
    [​IMG]
    Jasmine, Americauna?
    [​IMG]
    Stripe (has black stripe down the back) Americauna?
    [​IMG]
    Mrs. Potts, Lavender Orpington?
    [​IMG]
    Ole 5 Toes, Silkie?
    [​IMG]
    Beauty, (not as grayish/purple as Mrs. Potts and not as yellow as Zaxby) Lavender Orpington?

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Your Ameraucanas are actually Easters Eggers rather than true Ameraucanas. EEs are hybrids produced by crossing blue egg layers with brown egg layers to produce offspring that lay eggs in colors (most commonly some shade of green) rather than just blue. Hatcheries and feed stores frequently and incorrectly market their Easter Eggers as Ameraucanas when they are in fact EEs. The only hatchery that actually breeds true Ameraucanas is Meyer and they charge 5 times more for them than they do for their EEs. As for gender, your chicks are too young at this point to sex accurately. I would suggest re-posting their pics again in a couple of months. By then their gender should be obvious.

3. MedSchlFarmers

Jan 5, 2016
    North Carolina
    Thank you for the info. I was mostly excited for colored eggs for my kids, so Easter Eggers sound like they will be great too. Are there specific varieties/breeds of Easter Eggers? Or do they all look different?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome. Since Easter Eggers are mixed breeds there are no standard varieties, colors, or patterns as there are with true Ameraucanas. EEs can come in a variety of colors and patterns depending on which parent breeds were used and the genes involved in the crosses.

5. tannysue88

tannysue88 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2015
    Navasota, TX
    OMG I'm dying over here over your silkie! SOOOOOO adorable!

6. MedSchlFarmers

Jan 5, 2016
    North Carolina
    Awe! Thank you! He/she is so sweet! And so tiny compared to the others. My daughter picked it and had to have it, hahaha.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    x2

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x 3 your chicks are absolutely gorgeous - I know you will enjoy them. Hope you will post again in a few weeks so we can see how they have developed and sex them.

9. MedSchlFarmers

Jan 5, 2016
    North Carolina
    Thank you! I will! Does anyone know if the others are orpingtons?

10. MarcyR1011

MarcyR1011 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2015
    Hemlock Michigan
    Mrs. Potts looks like a Lavender but beauty I'm not so sure off. All my Lavenders were solid gray. Beauty looks like she has some yellow? Your silky is gorgeous!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by