1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking to eat anything but Cornish X in Central TX

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by punk-a-doodle, Jan 28, 2013.

1. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Just made a move to a new state, but now my husband and I need to find new sources for meat and dairy. I was able to find places near us for raw milk and pasture-raised beef, but I am still looking for chicken. I did find three places that raise or occasionally raise pastured Cornish x, but Cornish X rank last for me taste wise, even when pastured. I'm wondering if anyone here raises, or knows someone who raises, any other chicken in the central TX area. From Freedom Ranger to Barred Rock, I'd love to find someone selling non-Cornish X meat! Wish I could raise some meat birds myself, but we aren't there yet. Thanks so much for any leads.

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

You could always do a search for freedom ranger hatcheries and see if they would give you a lead on someone raising them that had ordered, or peruse CL.

Good Luck, I raise them, but I am in Ohio lol!

3. punk-a-doodle

Apr 15, 2011
    Great idea! Haha, I'm willing to drive far for good food....but not that far. ;)

4. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Central Texas should be a good area to find non-cornish meat chickens. Austin even has a yearly coop tour.

http://austincooptour.org/

5. punk-a-doodle

Apr 15, 2011
    It's weird, it seems most are doing eggs only, so just finding not store-bought meat birds of any kind was unexpectedly difficult. One farmer says he will have some freedom rangers, but didnt know of anyone to send me to until he gets them in later this year. I will keep looking though, as I'd be truly shocked if Austin is only eating Cornish X!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by