looking to get into Mille Fleur and d uccle.... have a few questions.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Fancie, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    I used to raise silkies but lost my flock last year to predators. We have fixed the problem as well as fixed the coops so it won't happen again. I will start a new flock this year and as a compromise with my husband we are going with millie fleur and d uccles. (he doesn't like the foo foo chickens.) First question, I know with silkies each pen had to be color coordinated... is this the same way with these birds? or can I house different colors together and still work to show? Is there a decent market for the eggs and older birds when it comes to these birds? Is there a difference between millie fleur and d uccles? the names seems to interchange a lot.

Pictures of show quality birds would be great so I know what to look for when I get my stock.

Thanks in advance for all answers.

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    1. d'Uccle is the breed
    2. Mille fluer is a color

you will need to keep colors separate if you are going to breed, other colors are porcelain, gold neck, black mottled.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  3. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    This is a breed that's super sweet and cuddly. They like a lot of attention and don't lay well at times. They do sell well as do eggs.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    D'uccle (pronounced D'Clay) is a breed and Mille Fleur is a color There are also many other different colored D'uccle's I breed the Mille Fleur color and have great luck selling the eggs...in fact mine have quit laying for now and I still have ppl looking for eggs.

This is a Mille Fleur color:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  5. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    okay makes since now... thanks everyone... I do like the Mille Fleur best. Do the eggs ship better than silkies? I never was able to hatched a shipped silkie egg.

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I had great hatch rates with my shipped eggs here. I wrapped each egg in bubble wrap and then all of them in more bubble wrap and then made sure the box was packed full with bubble wrap with them all in the center of the box. Used the smallest box I could and that seemed to ship better then the larger boxes. I would send usually 7-9 at a time and use a 7x7x6 inch box for them. It was cheap shipping and no broken eggs except one box the PO smooshed flat. And I sent A LOT of eggs out [​IMG]

7. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    not sure if any breed's egg ships better than another...interesting idea though

You will want to mix colors occasionaly to improve some colors that get washed out after multiple generations or to improve a groups tail carriage or some other aspect

8. 1crazychick

1crazychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Central-IN
    I have 2 Mille Fleur D'uccle Bantam Hens . Ahhh got it all out. For trade, if any one is close in my area that may be interested.
    Originally we thought they were where Buff Brahma's. Being only Buff with the black on neck and tail. But they are feathering out nicely and have the Mille Fleur pattern. They are approximately 8 weeks old. Were are looking for more Banty Cochins.

9. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:Where do you live?

10. 1crazychick

1crazychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Central-IN
    Op... Sorry I did have it on my info. I am in Central Indiana. Indianapolis area...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by