Looking to get some geese

CricketR4

Songster
6 Years
Feb 11, 2013
Mebane, NC
My hubby and I are looking to get some geese for two reasons: we heard they might help protect our ducks and chickens against hawks, and also he's thinking about maybe raising a few for meat. I've done some research, but I'd like more personal opinion on which breeds might be best for us. We have 4 kids, so I don't want something too aggressive, but definitely want something to sound a warning. I did have one person tell me Poms are nice, so I've been looking into them, any other suggestions?

geese are all bluff and dont guard and or protect other birds.

there a number of choices for meat breeds: American, Production Toulouse, Pomeranian to name a few

All bluff, ok. I had heard something similar, mostly that geese are more likely to protect themselves, and basically say: "screw you guys! I'm getting out of here!" Any chance you think their size and noise might be enough to give a hawk pause? We're looking into getting some goats to keep with/near the chickens as I've talked to several people that say just their presence (mostly size) might deter a hawk, but hubby is still wanting geese.

No I did not. Thank you. I think it was a bit farther back than I looked, and I didn't do a search... not sure why I didn't do a search, since I usually do.
hu.gif

Based on Kevin's thread it looks like the best bets as far as temperament are concerned are: American Buff, Cotton Patch, Pomeranian and Pilgrim. Thanks for linking that thread!

Based on Kevin's thread it looks like the best bets as far as temperament are concerned are: American Buff, Cotton Patch, Pomeranian and Pilgrim. Thanks for linking that thread!

Yes, that sounds about right. Glad it helped!
Here are some threads that focus on those breeds

(also, you might already know this, but it took me a while to figure out at first; if you click on "Advanced Search" then put in what you're looking for & select the Geese forum, it helps narrow it down)

Back
Top Bottom