Looking to getting into some breeding questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by mustangsaguaro, Dec 17, 2007.

1. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    My husband and I are thinking about getting into breeding chickens to sell the eggs and sell the chicks. What I would like to know is what are the most common or top 5 breeds that people want to buy as chicks, and what are the pros/cons of the breeds you might have? Also, when selling chicks or older birds what is the price range. What would be the most profitable bird to sell.

Thanks
    Kim

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    silkies,cochins,brahmas, orpingtons, OEGB's. But also it depends on personal preferences

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I agree that it all depends...... there are as many favorite breeds as there are people. Brown egg layers...especially the dark brown egg layers are very popular, but sometimes it's hard to get good breeding stock of those.

4. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Now if you want to sell the most exspensive eggs I think everyone would agree that serema eggs are fairly exspensive

5. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    I currently have Old English and am trying to either sell them or trade them for a different breed of bird. What I am looking for is a good egg laying breed.

6. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    go to murraymcmurray.com I think heavy breeds are the way to go because some of them lay through winter.

7. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    I agree that it depends what a specific area wants. Different people in different places want certain breeds. Here in east Tn. it seems that the best sellers are the following:::::
    for eggs: white leghorns, sex-link and rhode island reds
    for meat: cornish crosses, buff rocks, buff orpingtons and white rocks
    eggs & meat: mostly orpingtons or any of the plymouth rocks and sometimes RIR's

Bantams: old engish games and silkies

Ducks: you could sell every Pekin you could raise!

8. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Yeah I would buy pekin eggs from you in a heartbeat or if you had cayuga ducks

9. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    You may want to consider breeding one of the heritage breeds rather than or in addition to one that's popular. You can check out the ALBC for info one the breeds that need more support to avoid extinction.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by