Looking to have someone incubate for me, how many eggs to get?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hokankai, Mar 13, 2011.

1. hokankai

hokankai Songster

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I've never incubated before and won't for awhile unfortunately, but someone on craigslist is offering to hatch eggs out of his heavy-duty incubator. I'm considering this option if getting 1-3 day old chicks from breeders isn't going to work out. I want to hatch silkies and mille fleur cochins, how many eggs of each should I get? I have no idea how successful hatch rates are, but I'm planning on getting eggs within 12 hours of my home so they won't be in shipping for long.

Also, what do you do with the extras? My hope is that I get enough to get at least one pullet out of each breed, but the silkie I'll have no idea for awhile. So do you sell the spare chicks on craigslist? Haha

2. PDurkin

PDurkin Chirping

Dec 27, 2010
    Country boy at heart
    I would sell the extra chicks of craigslist, or perhaps if the owner of the incubator is interested make a deal where he can keep some of the extras if he wants (in place of payment, or a discount.)

3. hokankai

hokankai Songster

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    He agreed! Now how many eggs of each breed should I get? I only want one of each breed, but want to actually have some hatch. Is four of each breed a good amount?

4. PDurkin

PDurkin Chirping

Dec 27, 2010
    Country boy at heart
    Thats wonderful, what a nice guy! I think 4 of each breed should work out perfectly for what your looking into.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: