lOOKING TO HOME A FEW BABY CHICKS IN NEW MEXICO

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by chickengirlnm, Sep 10, 2007.

1. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    I live in Clovis New Mexico, I would like to find a home for about three of my young pullets- hubby is putting off building a coop and with weather getting cold I dont want them to get cold,so I thought if I down size alittle he will not have to build such a big coop.
    The babies I would like to rehome are 1 light brahma,1 silver laced cochin,1 americana. I have 5 of each breed so you would have your choice, all of them are hens, I would like them to go to the same home if possible. If you would like to give these girls a warm home for winter please let me know.

2. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    How old are they? I"m expecting new chicks this week, so i'm wondering whether I could keep them together. I'm on the Bell Ranch, near Conchas Lake.

3. chickengirlnm

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    Thier birth date is 6/20/07 so they are still fairly young babies and all are very sweet - they still love to run when I try to pick them up but once they are caught they are fine and end up falling asleep in my arms. I have not seen any of them fighting with anyone else so I dont think they would mind a few younger siblings.
    Where is Conchas lake? Is that near me ?

4. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    It's around 75 miles away, north west of Tucumcari. I'll have to try and convince my husband that it's worth the drive for a few chickens LOL.

5. chickengirlnm

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    well if you can get him to agree to that drive the babies will be here for you--

just to tease you here is a pic of one of the light brahmas and one of the silver laced cochins. Sorry I dont have one of the americanas.

Show your hubby the pic maybe he will fall in love and want to get some babies.

[​IMG]

6. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I can let you know by Sat. Ideal screwed up my order and I may have twice as many chicks as I ordered on their way to me. I doubt I can talk him into 37 new chickens in a week.

7. chickengirlnm

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    well good luck on all the new babies - how in the world are you getting more than ordered?? did you pay more or are they free?? are you at least getting the breeds you want? well if you can talk him into it - my hubby said we could meet you half way I will pick out the babies and bring them to you,they are all very flashy pretty little ladies.

8. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I placed my order in August and originally wanted some Silkies from them, but since I got an incubator I decided i'd rather hatch some since lots of people have eggs for sale. I called them to cancel the Silkies, and somehow today they processed my order with the Silkies and a second time without. They charged my bank account for both, which i'm pretty mad about, and I didn't find out about it until this afternoon when I checked my balance. By the time I got hold of Ideal they didn't know whether I had been sent 2 lots, or just charged for 2, since everyone had gone home. So I either have 12 chicks on the way and 3 ducks, or 28 chicks and 6 ducks. If I get that many, buying the incubator was pointless because we'll already have 50+ chickens!

As for the ones you need to rehome, it would be great if we could meet halfway if we're not already inundated with chicks. Maybe I can give you some chicks in the spring once your coop is set up, or some eggs to hatch.

9. chickengirlnm

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    some new babies in the spring would be wonderful - i would a few different breeds -
    If you end up with more babies than you first thought would are you going to do with them all?
    what breeds of ducks are you getting? I have three here and they were a handful as babies real messy little guys- thank god they are outside and older now LOL.
    Well good luck with your order(s) hope everyone gets home safe.
    Let me know if how it all goes - and these babies will be here for you just in case. LOL

10. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    If I end up with that many I will be giving most if not all of them away. I think I might have to put a sign up in the feedstore. 5 or 10 will be Cornish Rocks so they shouldn't be too much of a problem. The rest should all be pullets, except for the Silkies. They will be SL Cochins, Blue Cochins and Ameraucanas. The ducks will be Pekins, but we specifically ordered 2 hens and one drake, and I really don't want 2 drakes with 4 hens, they'd probably annoy them constantly and fight with each other. My husband really wants ducks, I have no idea why LOL. He's not at all into chickens, but he wanted me to get him a couple of ducks the next time I ordered chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by