Looking to identify wild ducks on my pond...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Cheval Rouge, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Cheval Rouge

Cheval Rouge New Egg

Dec 13, 2011
    I don't have a picture of them yet but there are the cutest dark/black ducks on my pond, slightly smaller than mallards. Body is all dark but head is white. Head is rather flattish on the sides, if that makes any sense.

They are just very cool and I was hoping to learn more about them, so I can encourage them to hang around.

They co-exist with the Blue Heron pair peacefully.

Thanks,
    CR

2. LLCoyote

LLCoyote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    I'm not sure, I'd search wild north american ducks online or post a picture. But as a general rule for any ducks, make sure they have plenty of good water, not rancid, nice foliage without it being TOO thick they need it for shelter, and maybe introduce small fish to your pond they can hunt down. If you want to interact with them there are articals on here about treats. Frozen peas are something they all seem to love, mine are addicted to cat food like it's crack. Good luck!

3. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    I have an antique coffee cup with those type of ducks on it-- I assumed they were some kind of wood duck?

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I don't know where you live, but I'm betting that their coots. Are the bills more chicken-like? Do they make a bunch of cool sounds? Are their feet more lobed than webbed?

Other suggestions include ruddy ducks (they have a blue bill), female long-tailed duck, or buffleheads. All of which would be cool in a backyard pond.

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Buffleheads and red-breasted mergansers both look like what you are describing. They are likely migrating through.

6. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I love buffleheads. We have a bunch of them where I live right now. They're a little shy, but oh so cute!

7. Cheval Rouge

Cheval Rouge New Egg

Dec 13, 2011
    Okay - I'm 90% positive that they are buffleheads, based on the images on Google. I will try to get pictures if they are still around this week.

There are fish in the pond - it is a small spring-fed pond and there is a larger pond on the family farm as well.

Thanks for the tips - I found nothing when trying to search online earlier and it was driving me crazy (very short trip).

They are just very cool- when take some frozen peas down to the pond in the morning.

8. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Cool! I think they like to dive for plants and things underwater.

I forgot to say [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by