LOOKING TO MAKE MONEY AND HAVE FUN

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by megaram, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. megaram

megaram Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    looking for a new hobby that is relaxing and maybe make a little money on the side. Had a lot of anilmals growing up. Mostly small type animals. At one time we had so many animals my forth grade class came to our house for a field trip. Then I grew up and had a family and went to work, lol. Well, I am now at the point in life I want to relax a little and enjoy some of the things I had when I was a kid. Like chickens around the house and maybe a goat or two. Anyway looking for some advice on which chickens to raise, small amount, maybe a dozen or so to start with. Which ones are the most profitable and fun?

Philip

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

[​IMG] If you're looking to make any money that's probably not going to happen.....at least not for many years. Mine are just now to the point they are pretty much covering the feed bill....and that is with selling purebred hatching eggs, not eating eggs. I know I'll never get back my initial investment, but that's ok, that's not why I have them. As far as what kind to get, everyone has their favorites. Check out the different breeds and see what appeals to you.

3. megaram

megaram Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    the profit is not my primary desire, just thought there might be a possibility. Oh well, I'll just raise them for the fun of it. So give me some pointers. I would like to start out with some good layers (about 6 or so). My wife has never really been around chickens, so I want to get something for her to make a pet out of, (maybe a silkie bantam or something like that.

4. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by