Looking to purchase Call ducklings....any suggestions???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ladybug99, Apr 14, 2011.

1. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    We are looking to add ducks to our brood.. we have chosen Call ducks because of thier size. I can't seem to find a hatchery that have them. Does anyone have any suggestions on a reputable hatchery that provides them???? Also any suggestions on a smaller duck breed if we can't get them.

Thanks [​IMG]

2. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    how about mallards? they are also bantam ducks but quite a few hatcheries sell them.

3. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  4. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Most reputable hatcheries won't sell/ship Call ducklings because they're so small and delicate as ducklings. Efowl.com DOES ship Calls as ducklings, and babylady4 here on BYC received 6 ducklings from them last year in perfect shape!

http://www.efowl.com/Call_Duck_for_Sale_s/21.htm

Also, reputable breeders will generally always want to hold onto the ducklings until they're grown out, so that they can choose the best of them to retain for the breeding flock, or for showing.

If you try a website like bestfarmbuys.com, you might be able to find a local hobby breeder willing to sell a few Call ducklings. Good luck! [​IMG]

Edited to add: Calls ARE fun because of their size and wide range of colors, but they aren't the easiest duck to start with. They are rather loud (that's what they were bred and named for!), and they CAN fly, so you'll need to keep them confined or clip their wings if you're worried about them flying away!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  5. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    never said mallards were smaller just that they were in the bantam class

6. ladybug99

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    Thank you all for your input. We are aware that they are loud, don't have neighbors so we don't have to worry. My BF doesnt want any big ducks so thats why we chose them for thier size. ! have checked many of the hatcheries and they are either sold out or don't carry them. I never thought about them being tiny. Personally I fell in love with the white crested ducks at my local Agway the other day and they had a breed they called a magpie that had black and orange feet that were adorable and friendly as well. They had a full grown magpie out in thier chicken yard and he was very socialble as well. I might just have to bring a few home with me one day....is there such a thing as Duck math?? We have plenty of room for them and we have a seperate run and pool area planned for them so the size is not that important.... and I am the main caregiver as well....

I also have an incubator.. any place where I can get some of the call duck eggs??? We did consider the Mallards and might go with them as well.

I'll keep you all posted [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  7. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    Yup... Duck math is worse than chicken math [​IMG]
    Magpies are really sweet, ADORABLE ducks! If you got one, you will LOVE it! [​IMG]

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I found my snowy calls at a poultry show. I have a trio and they are so stinking cute it ain't even funny!!! Here is a pic of a runner, pekin and two calls. Funny pic.

[​IMG]

9. ladybug99

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    agreed they are stinking cute!! I put a few bids on eggs on e bay.. never incubated ducks eggs should be an experience for me.. can't seem to win an auction for the life of me....they are going for $31.00 for 6.....

10. ruthless

ruthless Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Mount Vernon, Mo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by