Looking to purchase chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Morgan2002, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Morgan2002

Morgan2002 Hatching

Mar 3, 2011
    Hello,
    Was going to purchase chicks through MCMURRAY, but noticed they have a 25chick minimum. I want to start with a small flock, two buffs, two speckled sussex, and two black australorps. I do want to start with c hicks. I'm told I can purchase at a local show? Can anyone direct me to a local show in Connecticut, Mass, NY, etc. that would offer chicks?

Thanks,
    Morgan2002

2. lilchick

lilchick Songster

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Farm stores are selling chicks right now with a 6 minimum. Also people in your area will be hatching out chicks and needing to sell a few extras. Post on craigslist what you are looking for.

Never ordered from them but others on here talk about Mypetchicken where you can order just a few. good luck on your mission!

3. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Mcmurray has good chicks but are proud of their prices try a feed store if they don't have the kind you want then try to split an order with someone from!

Nate

4. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Songster

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    You can order just a few chicks from My Pet chicken or Ideal.

5. Pascal PicklePants

Pascal PicklePants Songster

Oct 21, 2010
    Boise, ID
    I'd definately check craigslist. A lot of people in my area sell day olds and hatching eggs there. Quality varies, but it's easy, cheap and local!

6. Morgan2002

Morgan2002 Hatching

Mar 3, 2011
    Thanks for the helpful advice! Has anyone ordered chicks from mypetchicken. com?

7. 14chickmama

14chickmama Chirping

Jan 6, 2011
    Quote:Try Meyer hatchery in Polk Ohio. There minimum for chicks are 3. That's where I got mine from. I have 15 from them and there all doing very well so far. Or try local feed stores or tractor supply co.

8. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Songster

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
  9. Morgan2002

Morgan2002 Hatching

Mar 3, 2011
    Thank you for all your help. I checked Tractor Supply, but they also have a minimum. I ordered last night from Meyer Hatchery after doing a little research on their company. They seem to have a good service record. Am getting 2 Speckled Sussex, 2 Black Australorps, 2 Buff Orpingtons, with one Speckled Sussex Roo. Very excited. They will arrive in May.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: