Looking to purchase in SE Wisconsin

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lindyhartman, Jun 6, 2016.

1. lindyhartman

lindyhartman New Egg

Jun 6, 2016
    I'm brand new to having chickens and am looking only for four female egg laying chickens who can withstand the cold WI winters and hot summers.
    A few website have been suggested but I would really prefer to purchase from someone closer to where we live so I can check them out myself. Any suggestions for the SE Wisconsin area? Thanks so much!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I don't really know what breed would handle both weather extremes. If you put your state name in the search box it will pop up. Then you can ask others in your area which breeds are robust and can handle the weather. I've heard Black Australorps are very popular , docile and great layers of brown eggs.

3. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Hi and welcome to BYC I am glad you could join us please feel free to check out the buy sell trade section there someone might have some chickens for some in your area and most breeds can withstand mostly all climates. Here is a link to that section you can click on which section from there as I don't know what age you are looking for hope spot his helps.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/67/buy-sell-trade

4. lindyhartman

lindyhartman New Egg

Jun 6, 2016

Thanks so much! Great suggestion :)

5. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Most dual purpose small comb breeds can handle the temps in our area (I'm in the NE corner of IL)...

The problem with most 'local' people outside of big hatcheries is that unless it's an autosexing breed most people can't realistically sex them until they mature...

I could offer you barnyard mixes (tan to brown to green eggs) or my in progress blue laying line, but I have no way to sex them at hatch so that part is a roll of the dice...

I have just started to do my Cream Legbar breeding and I can sex those at hatch, but they are a 'rare' breed and come with the associated cost...

Beyond that this time of year you don't always have the best selection from the hatcheries as they are pre-sold well in advance usually November/December the previous year...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice. You need to have made 20 posts before you can participate in the buy/sell/trade forum, but theres no reason not to check it out and see whats on offer.

All the best
    CT

7. lindyhartman

lindyhartman New Egg

Jun 6, 2016
    Oh gotcha--thank you for the reminder.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by