looking to raise chickens in Pensacola

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ballawitch, Apr 12, 2012.

1. ballawitch

ballawitch New Egg

Apr 12, 2012
    Hi, I found your site trying to see if I could raise chickens in Pensacola city limits.

I had chickens when I lived on a sheep farm in Saskatchewan, Canada. They were free range. I had arcadians and another breed I can remember the name. They were beautiful eggs, lots of double yolkers and the yolk was a deep yellow\orange. When I moved to Ontario, I was in Old Order Mennonite farming country so I was used to buying free range eggs for $1.25 a doz.

I came back to the States 2 years ago after spending 22 years in Canada. I do not like paying $2 for factory eggs that have no taste. I also don't like alot of the factory farming methods. I remember a girl knew had a chcken, it was sitting in wire cage, on the wires, no padding or anything to make it comfortable, the cage was slightly bigger than the hen and nailed to a wall about 5 feet up. This whole set up was in a dingy barn, when we walked in there was no light and I never expected a living creature would be in there. I said something and that was the end of the friendship. This was ok with me as I couldn't treat a living creature that way. I believe in compassionate raising of animals.

My life right now consists of my partner and I running a community of cottages. We are working at helping get the homeless combat vets, and mental health clients off the street. This means alot to us as it bothers me to see men who have fought for our country, and often have PSTD litheving under bridges and eating out of dumpsters. I am starting a garden that they help with (very theraputic), we will then use some to help supplement their food stamp dollars, and the rest will will sell at a farmers market to give them a bit of cash. If I can get some hens in here, I will do the same with the eggs. It keeps us busy, Mr. does the repairs and upkeep of the grounds, while I handle the more social aspects and assist the social worker who comes in to hfelp link them to government and community resources that will stablize their life.

So that is a little about me. I am looking forward to being a member of this forum

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

3. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio, so glad you joined. :thumbsup

7. SmallFarmChick

SmallFarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    in the coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG]

WELCOME !!!!! The more the merrier!

8. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Hello and welcome [​IMG] Sounds like you guys are very altruistic - so nice to have you with us! Isn't it nice that we get to enjoy the chickens while being able to donate the eggs! It's totally a win-win situation.
    Good luck with everything!

9. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio...glad you joined us

10. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by