Looking to raise free range chickens wondering about my lawn

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by activia, Feb 1, 2012.

1. activia

activia Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2012
    Hi, I'm looking to raise 6 chickens. I have ZERO experience. I have 3.5 acres of land most of it wooded, about .5acre with an 8 foot dog fence and most lawn. If I let the chickens run free, will I have any lawn left :| Or should I just create a run in the woods?

2. Chickadee55

Chickadee55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    Central Florida
    Your chickens will need a coop for night time safe-haven. I let mine free range when I am home ONLY, although my entire yard (2.5 acres) is chain link fenced, I still have a Run that keeps them confined when I'm gone. If nothing else, it makes me feel better about their safety.

3. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

This yard would be a lovely lawn wo/ my girls!

[​IMG]

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Lol! That is such a perfect example of what chickens do! Love all those lovely holes!

To the OP, if you are planning on building them a run in the woods as you mentioned... better make it Fort Knox with buried skirting and a roof too or you won't have chickens very long! The local wildlife will thank you heartily for supplying such a lovely feast!

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Wonder no more. You won't have one. (lawn)

Oh, okay, it might take awhile for your entire acreage to be decimated by only six chickens.... But there will be little chicken "fox-holes" dug in prime locations, and your chickens will eat the grass away to the soil, then scratch in the dirt to get bugs and grubs, thereby tearing up the roots, unless you protect what you want to keep by fencing them OUT of that area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by