Looking to raise meat birds

angnic22

Chirping
Mar 24, 2016
hey all. I’m looking to raise some meat birds. I have a huge variety of breeds - I love the wide range of colors and sizes. I was thinking about starting with several Cochin hens I have that are huge. Just not sure I’d like their meat. (I’ve heard they are really dark.)

I raised some Cornish crosses but never had such a nasty coop in all my years.

I’m content waiting up to a year for culling time so long as they meat is not dark and I don’t have to soak them to tender them up.

We raised white birds on the farm when I grew up but my parents have passed and I’m not sure what breed they were. Could’ve been white rocks?

What do y’all suggest?

If you are going to do meat birds I'd do something pretty and dual purpose instead of a straight meat bird like a Cornish Cross (frankly I think they're the ugliest chickens out of any breed and they smell absolutely terrible in comparison). Speckled Sussex birds are supposed to be both good layers and good meat birds - the roosters dress out to 8-10 pounds of meat. Buckeyes and Orpingtons are supposed to be good for both too.

I'm content waiting up to a year

In that case you might wanna try Black Jersey Giants, they take longer to fill out but they are HUGE birds, bred to replace turkeys as a premium roasting bird.

You also have Delaware’s as a good dual purpose option. I too am at the same point as you wondering what’s a nice meat bird I can hatch and grow out myself. I have Lavender Orpingtons @5 weeks, Also One BJG and 3 Delaware’s at 8 weeks. Needless to say they have a little while to go before I know which I like best.

Why would you want to wait a year for a meat bird? Or have a pretty one you are raising to slaughter? The Cornish Giant broilers are ready for slaughter at 12 weeks (cockerels). Yes the coop stinks but when they eat like they do in their short lifetime the poop comes out in proportion to their feed intake. Really, until they reach 4 weeks, the care and smell are not noticeable. So, you are left with 8 weeks of mess and smell. I put mine out in a chicken tractor when they are fully feathered (cold climate). Move the tractor once a day, wash the dirty area down and there is very little smell and the grass grows like crazy.

Back
Top Bottom