Looking to raise Pigs for the Freezer, NEED INFO PLEASE!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Triplell, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Triplell

Triplell Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    My husband and I want to raise a couple pigs for the freezer. It is so hard to find info. I would like to pasture them at leased half the time of raising them. What kind of fencing? We have regular field fencing, will this work? What weight do you butcher? I have found that some say 220-250 and others say 350. We are wanting to be more self sufficient, we have a garden that is 40 wide and 90 feet long, and wish to feed them with the left overs from that. Please help any suggestions are welcome.

Triple ll

2. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    I would run an electrical wire around 10 inches to 12 inches from the ground if you want to pasture them.
    You want them around 250 pounds to butcher.
    I would plant turnips and some other root vegetables in the pasture you plan to put them in. they will love it since they love to root things up.

What is your plan for feeding them?
    I would feed my pigs a wet mash that was a mix of corn and ground barley. I would fill 5 gallon buckets full of the grain then fill it with water and let it soak over night.

3. Triplell

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    Thank you, We were wanting to pasture them then supplement with purchased (commercial feed). Is having 2 better than one? I see you have Hereford ? I think they have think they have the best tasting meat ever. I really don't like the Angus. I finds its to tough to chew and we re's the fat for flavor and tenderness? Back to the pigs, if we get 50 lb wiener pigs how long until butcher?

Thank you

4. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    Well I can tell you a couple things, they grow fast...pastured pigs I have never done, though in the future I plan to try that.
    We bought our piglets at 6 weeks weighed maybe 10lbs, in June, by November they weighed almost 300 lbs each.......sooooooo pretty darn fast growing. as I said though no pasture, commercial feed and organic veggi's, and corn from our garden, and a natural mineral supplement.
    2 is better than 1 keeps them more occupied and they don't try to get into so much trouble that way.
    1 warning most people think of pigs as food and that's fine, but I will tell you pigs have personalities, awesome personalities, so be forewarned butchering them little cuties even at 300 lbs. is not so easy, especially if you had to provide care and close contact with them while they grew up.
    So if you really have no problem with that, then I would pasture them and use the commercial pig grower, the fence might need to be stronger than you think though, pigs love to dig and are quite strong, the electric wire might dissuade them though, you could try it, but keep an eye out for loose pigs.
    . Kim.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  5. Triplell

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    Thank you for your information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by